ATI 9700PRO scratchy pattern problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I boot up the system I get mostly verticle columns of scratchy patterns on the screen. Have to reboot a few times before the patterns go away. I'm using Catalyst 3.2 but this has been the case with all versions of driver. External power is connected to the card. Any idea what could possibly be causing this?

You are lucky in that at least your PC will boot with a 9700 Pro fitted - many users don't even get that far. :D

Returning to your problem, are you only experiencing these issues when the PC is cold, or is it simply random? Did your card ever work properly, or has the issue just appeared recently?

In the meantime you might want to reseat the card in the agp slot and refit all connections to see if there is any change.

Perhaps toggling your AGP speed will help (AGP 8x, 4x 2x, for example).

Nic: I remember that it worked OK when new and it started soon after a driver update. It only happens during cold boots. Could it be the power? Thanks.

If your problem is only happening during cold boots, then this would indicate that your problem is temperature sensitive and probably you have an intermmitant contact somewhere.

You need to reseat any and all connections that have anything to do with your video card. This would include removing and then refitting your card, and any cables that connect to it, and your monitor. It is unlikely to be the driver as software issues are not affected by system temperature.

Try my suggestions and then consider reseating other connections and components such as your memory chips.

If none of this works then we'll have to start digging deeper and trying out various other things to try and get a better understanding of the problem.

Don't rush, be methodical, and be sure to write down any further observations you make as you go along. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back