ATI bridge chip on way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

There's no real confirmation so far, but it looks like ATI will release a bi-directional bridge chip, which can adapt a PCIe card to AGP and vice versa, allowing for PCIe and AGP cards to be made from similar silicon. This allows for some real savings: you can, for example, make an X700 as a native PCIe card, and then you just a need small and relatively cheap bridge chip to turn it into an AGP card.

So this bridge chip, is it something consumers could buy? Or is this something that ATi would primarily use? Just wondering if I could purchase a pci-express card, then get a bridge and use it in my agp slot mobo now, and when I upgrade, slip off the bridge and make it pci-express.

No, it means that you can essentially use extremely similar manufacturing for both types of cards, saving lots of costs which can be passed to the consumer, i guess.

I do recall hearing about a device that could convert PCIe to AGP but I cannot concretely confirm this. I think it was only for nVidia cards, or it came with one. That is not what the article is about, though.

Oh ok, well I'm all for anything that will cut costs for the consumer. Well, anything except outsourcing, that is. Good move by ATi though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back