ATI Radeon 9200 won't work in PIII 450mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahal

Hi Everyone,

Great forum you've got here! I'm fit to throw a wobbly. I've got a Compaq Deskpro PIII 450. Into this okay-ish machine I am trying to install an ATI Radeon 9200 ( 128mb. )

I have to actually get things underway with a 4 meg. card, and when I stick in the ATI Radeon the machine finds it, and asks if it should go on the net to look for drivers.

I tend to skip this and install the drivers which I downloaded from ATI. All well, can see the ATI Radeon in Hardware manager ... no conflicts, working fine. I then plug the monitor from the 4 meg. into the ATI and get a black screen.

The bios upgrade is the only thing I haven't tried ... the AGP port in the Compaq is 1x 3.3v., so that seems to be withing spec. Everything seems to be 'right'. I gave the machine to a guy who tested the card in another machine and said it worked fine. His verdict: the Compaq PIII is incompatible.

Seems strange to me ... surely if the machine finds / installs it ... you know? Any advice much appreciated.

Regards,

Anthony.

Hello and welcome to TS

What OS are you running?

Side note: Also it is good if you provide us with the specs of the PC in question. OS, CPU, RAM,... and any specs about the problem area.

Answer:

Whatever the response is you need Pentium4 (you have Pentium3) to run this card with Win98 or better (no vista)

Sorry

P.S. New PC's are not that expensive (anymore)

More info

pioneerx01 said:
Hello and welcome to TS

What OS are you running?

Side note: Also it is good if you provide us with the specs of the PC in question. OS, CPU, RAM,... and any specs about the problem area.

Many thanks.

I have tried various OS's ... namely Windows XP Professional with SP4. I've tried the card in both an AMD Athlon 750 machine, and the present one I refer to, an Intel PIII 450.

The RAM is 160 Dimm PC133.

Regarding compatibility, I did a google search and apparently it's compatible from PII up, though I'm open - minded on that one, because it would not be the first time I've got dud info. from googling!

Presently I'm stuck with W98 SE, because I screwed the PIII up again and it wouldn't boot from anything else. Oh well, I like W98 anyway ...

It's a bit weird visiting Compaq's site: the exact machine I have is a 'Deskpro EP series K450 / 6.4 UK' ... or at least that's what it says on the side of it ... yet despite their site having support for everything from 286 upwards I can't find an exact match on their list.

Bonzai P4 woes

pioneerx01 said:
Whatever the response is you need Pentium4 (you have Pentium3) to run this card with Win98 or better (no vista)

Sorry

P.S. New PC's are not that expensive (anymore)

Actually do you feel like a good laugh?

I bought an NEC PowerMate off ebay ... P4 1.6 ghz., thought 'brilliant, here we go!'

When it got here I went poking about inside it then realised something was wrong ...

The cards are all miniature ... it's one of these space - savers lol. I have thought of getting a hacksaw to the back of the chassis though ...

Regards,

Tony.

I just mean that the 9200 is not supported by the proprietary drivers that you would get from ATI's website

Thanks Dragon,

That's interesting ... when the PC does it's websearch for auto - install it comes up with a file named 'TUL Radeon 9200' ... was kind of wondering who TUL were and what they had to do with ATI!

Regards,

Anthony.

Update:

I've since tried it ( Radeon 9200 ) in my NEC Deskmate P4 1.6ghz ( 512 mb. ram ) W2K, and it won't work in that either.

Could this be the worst graphics card made, or are they all like this?

Indentity of board

Thanks again Dragon :)

I had a good poke around inside the Compaq ( PIII - decided to shelve the NEC P4 because it's a midget system and a pain ). The board tells me absolutely nothing. Previously I'd run SiSoft Sandra, and all it came up with as 'manufacturer' was Compaq. Wasn't aware that they made boards? :confused:

To be honest, if something doesn't give soon I think I'll buy that DELL GX270 I've been peeping at on Ebay. I guess I should've explained at some stage that I'm into gaming, but prefer the slightly older stuff. I wouldn't be one for eagerly anticipating new releases!

Many thanks.

Anthony.

The card worked when someone else tested it. So I think its safe to say the card is good. If Windows sees the card correctly that is also a good sign.

When you are saying Windows sees it, what monitor are you using? I'm a bit hung up on how you know Windows is seeing the correct card, but then the card not working.. Are you using onboard video at the time? You may have to specifically shut off the onboard video in the BIOS to allow another card. If you are changing monitors in this process don't.

More info

Thanks both,

Well, before I messed up the settings and couldn't get any card to work ( I've since come back from this by reinstalling W2K ) the ATI was listed alongside the 4 meg in Hardware profiles. No yellow triangle. Disabling on - board in bios just got me back to where I started - no video when plugging into the ATI. Similarly, unistalling the lowly pci card didn't help either. I should again mention that the ATI won't do anything from the off: the lowly card is the only one through which I've seen anything!

I found the Chipset - Intel 810. I've downloaded the updates for it, but haven't yet done anything. Decided to post a bit more info first. This may be a waste of everyone's time and I really appreciate your help with this, so sorry if it is. As things stand, when I go into the bios these are the settings:

SYSTEM INFORMATION

Product Name: Compaq Presario EP/SB series
Processor type: Pentium(R) III Processor 450 MHZ
Processor Speed: 450/100 MHZ
Processor Stepping: 673
Cache Size ( L1/L2 ): 32/512 KB
Memory size: 160 MB
System ROM date: 08 / 07 / 99
System ROM family: 686T2
System Board revision: 01
Chassis serial number: 8935CJM80240

ADVANCED

( Power on self test )

Post mode: Quickboot
Post messages: Disable
F10 prompt: Enable
F12 prompt: Enable
Option Rom prompt: Enable
Remote wakeup boot source: Local Hard drive

( Onboard Devices )

Parallel port: 378 - 37F, 778 - 77D, IRQ7, DMA 3
Serial port A: 3F8 - 3FF, IRQ4
Serial port B: 2F8 - 2FF, IRQ3
Floppy controller: 3F0 - 3F5, IRQ6, DMA2

( PCI Devices )

S3 VGA Controller: IRQ11
3Com Ethernet Controller: IRQ11
Intel IDE Controller: Enabled
Intel USB Controller: IRQ11
Intel other bridge device: Enabled
VGA Controller: Disabled

( PCI VGA Configuration )

S3 VGA Controller: Primary VGA device
VGA Controller: Non - boot device

( Bus options )

PCI Bus mastering: Disable
PCI Reset on warm boot: Enable
PCI VGA Palette snooping: Disable
ISA Back - to - Back I/O delay: Fast
Bus Priority: PCI

( Device Options )

Printer mode: Flexible
Num lock state at power - on: Off
PME Wakeup events: Enable
Processor Number: Disable

PHEW! Of course I could always go and buy that DELL GX270 ... What d'yall think? Guy selling it claims it's run a RAD 9800 for him no problem, but right now I'd feel as if I'm giving up too easily ... as mentioned, the fact that the machine finds the card can't be a bad thing ...

Thanks a lot.

Anthony.

Monitor

SNGX1275 said:
When you are saying Windows sees it, what monitor are you using?

The monitor is a CRT Gateway VX900 ( 21 inch? - it's BIG! ). Had it with my trusty Gateway GP6-400 PII previously ... both around year 2000 vintage.

Many thanks,

Anthony.

Still no joy

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Shouldn't that be the other way around if you want the AGP card to work?

Good point ... tried it, and again no joy. I think at this stage I have tried just about everything. I must be doing something wrong ... the card won't work in an AMD Athlon 750 machine either!

Now I know these machines are getting a bit old - the PIII 450 and the Athlon - but surely they should be able to handle the card? Interestingly, the heatsink on the ATI was quite hot when I removed it from the PIII ...

Thanks for your help.

Anthony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back