ATI Radeon 9250 256MB DDR Memory Video Card Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidLeeHansel

Ok...First off thank u for those who help me and give me advice on how to fix this problem in advance...ok...so i went out last nite to a friends house and got a call from my parents telling me that there computer dont wanna work nemore...they said it worked fine last nite when my dad was on it doing what he does then in the morning he tried to turn it on n the screen would just go black and stay black...no post...no beeps...no error messages...nothing to indicate that something is wrong...ive been trying to figure out how to go about solving this problem or at least an idea on how to fix but so far nothing...ive tried reseting the bios manually...didnt work...took out the video card and checked to make sure everything was straight and put it back in to make sure it was seated propley...tried to run it again n the screen was still blank with no errors or nething like that...looked and checked around everything inside the computer and everything looked fine...tried to boot off the windows xp install disc n i couldnt even do that...tried to boot into safe mode by holding down f8 when i started the computer...nothing that ive tried so far seems to wanna make it start up right...Basically if i can boot into safe mode or even boot of the cd then i think i should be able to handle the rest but its not letting me so im stuck right now on what to do...A little about my computer...It has the following items listed below in it:
ASUS A7V600 Motherboard
AMD 2400+MHz processor
2 Kingstons Memory Sticks-One 512MB and the other 256mb
A ATI Radeon 9250 256md video card thats not even a month old if that
Floppy Drive
DVD-Rom Drive
A 56k Momdem
Thats bout all thats useful that i can think of at the moment if u wanna know nething else just reply to this topic...Oh no i havent installed any new hardware recently or moved stuff around or installed or reinstalled nething recently so basically im stuck at the moment n i would really apperciate some help on this...im not gonna say i want a fast response but time isnt exactly on my side so if u can give me some advice fast then please do if not then thats fine to...thank u again for at least reading it and giving me advice i really do apperciate forms like these...I will be waiting for a response cuz i need to get this computer back up n running as soon as possable...

Do you have access to a spare power supply for testing purposes? Can you try the graphics card in another PC?

No I dont have access to another power supply and I dont have another motherboard that has an agp slot because my other computer has all pci slots...I could take my power supply outta my computer and try it in the other one but the one already in the computer is not even a couple months old.

Ok I went to the store and went to go and exchange the video card for a new one but when I got home it still does the same thing...Somebody please help me because I really have ran out of ideas on this one...

What's your power supply brand and wattage? Also, check how many amps it pumps on the +12V rail.

How would you go about doint that...testing it...because I put the power supply from the other computer I had into this one and it still didnt make a difference...How could it be the power supply when its not even a month or two old and it was working fine for the month that the video card was already in it with this power supply...I really cant remember the power supply brand and theres no stickers or brandname anywhere on it...theres only a whitesticker the says qc something...I know I got it from CompUsa if that helps...n thanks for the help...i really do apperciate it...

If the PSU you have is a very cheap, no name one, that will surely cause some problems, and can even burn your PC. I really know that (because it happened to my father), so be careful with the PSU's you use.

Maybe that's not the problem, but could be.

Three things could have happened:

Bad motherboard

Bad video card

Bad power supply

Get all of the above tested to diagnose the problem

sw123

Well I already switched the video card out for a new one so it cant be the video care at least anymore. The power supply worked on my other computer just fine because I switched the power supplys from each other computer and it seemed to boot up fine but it still had a blank screen and no video. Now the motherboard might just be the problem. Becuase it would answer alot if the questions. Like that it starts up fine with no beeps or error messages like it normally would so maybe the agp slot on the motherboard went bad on me. Is there any sure way of actually proving that...or its go and buy a new motherboard and see if it works...if so does anybody have any good and durable motherboards that I could look at.

Its a socket A Amd Processor 2400+
brand new ati radeon 9250 256mb video card(AGP)
A CD Burner and a dvd-rom drive
2 sticks of kingston value ram
floppy
a 80 gig western digital harddrive
i would like onboard sound and possably onboard video with an agp slot
u know something not to fancy but a durable product that will last

thank you for ur guys/girls help...i really do apperciate it...espically some help with the motherboard because i have never bought a motherboard and i need one that will match and work with the hardware that I already have if possable.

Perhaps you can try to use another spare monitor.

On my brother's computer, his old cheap monitor would take forever to output video on boot. The monitor would only output video after loading into the Windows 2000 logon screen, and that was after turning the monitor on and off again. I tried different video cards on his computer. I used another monitor for his computer and finally it worked normally where I could see the BIOS screen and the stuff that displays on boot up. To confirm that the old monitor had problems, I plugged my brother's old monitor into my computer and got the same output issue.

So in short, check if your monitor (and maybe monitor cables) are okay.

I have experience the same problem. I replace my 128 meg card with the new CompUSA 256 Radeon card. I had intermittent freeze ups then one day it would not boot. No beeps, no video nothing. I tried a different known good monitor, I took out all hardware, reset bios, took out the CMOS battery to reset bios again just incase. So, I thought it was my motherboard (AU13) so I tried the Radeon 256 meg video card in a good working PC which had a working 64 meg video card. The known PC then would not boot....no beeps nothing....even when I took out memory still no beeps. I put back in the GOOD working 64 meg video card and the PC would not boot....nada! So, my conclusion is that the Radeon 256 meg AGP card must be defective. After reading your post I have a concern that there are more cards out there with the same issue which is ruining motherboards. If I am incorrect, please let me know.

umm im thinking this also i have a 256 radeon but the screen thing happened this morning but it went away after i restarted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back