ATI Radeon 9250 (PCI version) Installation Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkreezy08

A warning, these questions are far below most of what I have seen on here. I recently bought Radeon 9250...i uninstalled my old voodoo 5 (i know) and hooked it into my first PCI slot. I then (following ATI's instructions) hooked everything back up, including the monitor to the new video card. The screen ended up blank, and the monitor obviously was not recognized. I hooked the monitor up to the built-in motherboard graphics chip, and the screen came up and told me to install the drivers, new hardware found...yadda yadda. Had problems with that installation...not sure why...although when i check the device manager it says the card is functioning properly. Not sure what to do next...when i hooked it up...there was a bundle of cords with a plastic clip on the end (told you i suck) whcih was plugged into the voodoo chip, but there is no place to put it on the new chip. I don't know if that's the power source or what...or if I need new cords or a new motherboard or just some good advice...any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks -
Super Super novice BKreezy08

i dont tihnk that this will help you much but,
i have the radeon 9250 pro card as well, only in APG (or is it AGP??) anyway, i had NO trouble with installation, just make sure you have used the supplied CD to install the nessesary and corfect drivers.

Ph30nIX..

OKay this is always asked and it is always answered in the same way. Did you go into the BIOS setup and change your graphics setting from integrated to PCI and the size to 256MB. Your card has 256MB right? And that should fix your problem. Also for this card you dont need any power connected to it. SO dont go sticking those cords onto things, or you will fry somthing very important. Just leave those cords alone and it will all work out in the end.

thanks guys

I'm going to try the BIOS thing...I IM'ed a friend last night and he was saying i also needed to disable my onboard video and get rid of all the drivers for the old voodoo 5 card...i'm worried that if i disable the onboard video..and the new card won't work that i won't be able to see anything at all...like the monitor won't work with my computer...does that make sense? I'm pretty new at this stuff...But thank you definately for the advice about the power supply...to get into the BIOS, i hit F8 upon startup right? I'm gonna try that, if it's something else someone please let me know.
Thanks Everyone-
BKreezy08

so i checked the BIOS

and unfortunately, I'm going to need more advice then to just change the BIOS...I looked at every single part of the BIOS that I could, and I didn't see the options which I was told to change...by anybody. So if anyone could give me more specific info on exactly where in the BIOS to find these things, or maybe if they are called something specific that I can't decode to mean what I have been told...I saw a few similar things, and could've disabled my onboard video (although i could've done that without bios)...i'm just struggling, any help would be terrific.
Thanks- BKreezy08

Go to a tech place around where you live and have a pro check it out for you...

Not much help, eh? :p

-Kitaro

Now I have looked at my BIOS, and I'm not sure but i think BIOS's could be diffrent on everybodys computer, but here goes. Get into your BIOS by pressing F8 or delete, or however, then go to the tab on the top of the screen and move it to "ADVANCED" now whne you are on that screen then look for an option that says VIDEO CONFIGURATION and press enter. Then when you enter that Find a Primary Video Adapter and change the "integrated" to "PCI" by hitting enter and another little menu should open with these 2 options. Now under that you might have to change the Aperature Size to 128 or 256, depending on how much RAM your VIDEO CARD has NOT your computer. Then you should exit and save that and plug your monitor into your video card and that should work... I hope.

I really hope this helps you :D, becuase i remeber when i had to do this part all by myself becuase i never knew this site existed and i didn't have the internet, so good luck..

i think everyone's BIOS must be different...

because I don't even have a tab at the top of mine...i do have a section labeled advanced BIOS section or whatever, but there is nothing in there even CLOSE to what you're describing...I'm thinking maybe my motherboard is too old (3.5 years) since that is what the BIOS is for right? the motherboard? I don't know..my friend is going to try and uninstall all my old drivers for me now, hopefully that will work/help...

Well I tried, man I really wish i sometimes i could just teleport over and do it hands on becuase it is so hard to explain things over the net, and if the people dont understand what you are saying then.... I'm not mad or anything just stating a frustrating fact.

no worries...

I know what you mean man...But I honestly think my BIOS are just old on this motherboard...my friend tried to help me flash my BIOS last night...and that didn't even feel like working...I don't know, I'll probly just cough up a little dough and get myself a new motherboard with some recognizeable BIOS and more capabilities. Thanks for all your help, but I think this one was a lost cause.

not a whole lot...

the computer reconizes it as new hardware, i get prompted to insert the disk that came with it...i do so, everything loads (this whole time i have my monitor hooked to the onboard video because the video card won't work with the monitor)...i'm prompted to restart the comp., and after i do and it loads, it says that the ATI control panel can't load because of some problem with the drivers...wish i could post my BIOS and exactly what they look like...it is EXTREMELY different from all the other BIOS i've seen, whcih is why i'm guessing that the motherboard is the problem.

Yeah but I really don't think you need to buy a new motherboard to figure this out, that would just be stupid, I think you should try and find someone around you computers really well... and at the end if you can't find anything then i guess you should go to a professional, and thats what i think.

Same Problem!

I am having the same problem! It is like my computer is stuck half way in between. When I plugged the new card in and hooked up the monitor it found the new hardware and I installed the cd and restarted the computer. went through the start up and the screen just went blank, switched plug back to onboard and it says DRIVER NOT FOUND OR PROBLEM WITH DRIVER... But... to get to bios and set-up menu i need to be on the ATI(new) plug for dell set-up. It does not come up on the onboard card when I restart! The onboard card starts at the welcome then windows screen. I checked the bios for video and it says that video card is auto or onboard... it was set on auto. Those are the only two on there. I did not see a place for card size though 128 or 256? I unistalled and installed 3 times and still get the same problem. Any help guys?
Thanx

BIOS what are u on!!!!

Guy Forget the BIOS rubish. I called the guys at Ati the otherday to ask what was wrong. This is what they said:
-Boot-up the Computer on the OLD card.
-Right click on My Computer then Propterties
-Click on the Hardware tab at the top then device manager
-Navigate to the Display Adapters
-Right-click on the old card and go Properties
-At the botton of the window it says 'Use this device (enable)'
-Change it to 'Do not use this device (Disable)'
-Click OK
-It ask to restart the computer- Click NO
-Go to start then Shutdown
-Install the new card and all works fine
If you are really stuck call the Manufacturers Helpline
ie. Sapphire or Gigabyte

Hope this was helpful :bounce:

i'm having a problem with the radeon 9250 as well, but it is much worse 4 me. my old mother board fried so i got a new one http://www.asrock.com/product/product_K7Upgrade600.htm once it arrived i realized my video card didn't work in it so i ordered the 9250, AGP version. when i boot up my computer i dont get any picture so theres nothing i can do. the video card works 'cuz i tried it in a new dell. any suggestions on how to get a picture?

ATI Radeon 9250

Well what kind of screen are you using? If you are using a 15"ft crt, try to use a reslution of 800x600. You will enable to view your pictures..

Hope that works coz me too I've trouble with a radeon card.
I've update the driver and it's OK

i dont get ANY picture. not even on startup. i dont have an OS on my harddrive and i'm out of ideas. my card is good because i tried it on another computer.

Problems with Radeon 9250 PCI Card

I recently purchased this card and cannot get the system to boot at all. Forget the drivers...if I cannot even get a BIOS screen at boot-up (NO POST), then Windows is not the problem.

I am running an ASUS P2B-S mobo with a 550MHz PIII and 512MB SDRAM. This is a SCSI workstation system. All perpherals are SCSI interface. The monitor is a AOC LM914 LCD. The mobo does have an AGP slot, but I have disabled it in the setup BIOS and set the default for PCI.

One of the ATI tech "sheets" indicated disabling all shadowing and caching of anything relation to the video memory in the BIOS setup. I did...still nothing but a black screen and the system refuses to do anything upon power-up...just sits there...forever.

I am sure this card's installation problems have been stated at many other message boards, but it should have a pretty straightforward answer somewhere.

Any ideas??

this looks right PPMAn

PPMan said:
Guy Forget the BIOS rubish. I called the guys at Ati the otherday to ask what was wrong. This is what they said:
-Boot-up the Computer on the OLD card.
-Right click on My Computer then Propterties
-Click on the Hardware tab at the top then device manager
-Navigate to the Display Adapters
-Right-click on the old card and go Properties
-At the botton of the window it says 'Use this device (enable)'
-Change it to 'Do not use this device (Disable)'
-Click OK
-It ask to restart the computer- Click NO
-Go to start then Shutdown
-Install the new card and all works fine
If you are really stuck call the Manufacturers Helpline
ie. Sapphire or Gigabyte

Hope this was helpful :bounce:

im going to give this a shot. i don't think the BIOS works anyway as i have been in there several times to no avail.

by the way, i did what PPMan wrote above and it WORKED for me. YIPPIE! I am seeing SIMS 2 in a whole new light!

Help - monitor non-functioning now!

I followed PPMan's advice to install the ATI Radeon graphics card. It did not work. Now, my old (working) graphics card is disabled, and the new graphics card does not function at all. On startup, I get the "out of sync/unable to display" error message with no access to my BIOS or anything else. How do I re-enable my working graphics card so I can access my system? What do I do now? Help!

I bought the exact same card a few days ago

What you may need to do is unplug your monitor from your computer and plug it into the new[b/] monitor port on the back of your video card. you should notice it there. Mine is currently set to only run through that port, not the original on ethat came with my computer. You said it was the same model and all... so there should be another montior port on the actual video card you installed. Just a thought.

How do I do this?

Thanks for the idea,

How exactly do I set my graphics card to run only through the one port and not to the one that originally came with my machine (which is built in)?

For anyone out there in Radioland, I'm trying to get this beast to run on a Sony Vaio PCV-RS320 with WinXP. The Sony FAQ was absolute ****e with this problem, so any ideas are appreciated.

Much thanks,
B

Diamond ATI Radeon 9250 (PCI version) Installation Problems

Hey everyone

Yesterday I bought a new Diamond Radeon 9250 PCI 256 MB video card and as soon as I install it on my computer my monitor screen goes black. I have no idea what to do now?When I remove the new card and reboot my computer with the original on board card it works. I have tried the steps give above in thread but still no luck... I know my card it getting the power supply because its inbuild fan is working.....Are their any new updates i have to do before installing...? Diamond help center asked me to download .netframework 2.0. I did that also.. but no luck... I really need help... has anyone faced this problem before....

I am posting on Tech spot for the first time and I really hope someone can help me with problem.

Thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back