ATI Radeon 9550 GFX Card crashes and driver issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdewells

This is my situation.

I was using the Radeon 9550 until it overheated and suffered from Graphical Artifacting.

I then came into possession of a new variant of the exact same card, the Radeon 9550, except with a fan instead of a heatsink.

Now my problem is that my computer crashes at a very bizarre pattern (can crash once in 5 hours, after that, 5 times in 30 minutes) with this card installed. After the crashes, alot of the time I had to reinstall the drivers, and after the crashes it would state that the drivers were the root of the problem. I've reinstalled many of my drivers, including the Omega drivers for the card at www.omegadrivers.net, and with that driver the card lasted for a very long time before freezing and crashing (granted, the installation did seem to hang for a bit, so I had to cancel it, however it said that the installation was complete when I did this).

I don't know the make or the specs of my mobo, but the GFX card is AGP 8x.

Thank you so much if you can help me, I really want to get back to my normal gaming life.

Thanks in advance,
John.

Motherboard information

This is the info on the mobo:

Property Value
Manufacturer NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL
Model P5S800-VM
Version Rev 1.xx
Serial Number MB-1234567890

Chipset Vendor Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)
Chipset Model SiS661FX CPU to PCI Bridge
South Bridge PCI to ISA Bridge

CPU Intel Pentium 4 HT
Cpu Socket LGA775 [LGA 775]
Processor Upgrade
Max CPU Speed 3800 MHz

System Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP

I'm not quite sure what you mean by cooling for the case, but the processor is cooled by a fan, if that helps; it's the only sort of cooling device I can see other than the fan on the graphics card.

For proper cooling of the case yuo should have one fan in front drawing air in and one in the back drawing air out.

iss said:
For proper cooling of the case yuo should have one fan in front drawing air in and one in the back drawing air out.

Indeed, you are correct, as there's a fan duct on a part of the motherboard with a fan near the PSU, which I think is working as you said.

But don't get me wrong, the problem isn't the old graphics card overheating, it's the new one that was freshly installed and it's crashing.

As I said- help on this- massively appreciated. I'm getting withdrawal, heheh.

There are a couple of possibilities.

1. a compaitability issue with your SIS chipset. Are you running the latest available Bios for your board?

2. Your new card is defective.

3. How do you have the catalyst drivrs set up? try disabling VPU recover and fast write int he Catalyst control center.

4. what brand and wattage is your PSU? how many amps is it putting out on the +12V rail? ( you can find that info on the side of the PSU inside the case.)

iss said:
1. a compaitability issue with your SIS chipset. Are you running the latest available Bios for your board?

How can I update it?

iss said:
3. How do you have the catalyst drivrs set up? try disabling VPU recover and fast write int he Catalyst control center.

I disabled FastWrite and VPU Recover was set to both on and off, same occurance.[/QUOTE]

4. what brand and wattage is your PSU? how many amps is it putting out on the +12V rail? ( you can find that info on the side of the PSU inside the case.)

+12V = 0.8A.
Brand and Wattage: "FSP Group Inc" and 250W.

to update the bios you need to go to the motherboard makers web site and download the Bios for your model motherboard.

your 250 wattt PSU is probably the source of your problem. that is a seriously underpowerd PSU to be running a P4 system. I am suprised it even boots. is this a brand name computer or one that someone built for you?

iss said:
to update the bios you need to go to the motherboard makers web site and download the Bios for your model motherboard.

your 250 wattt PSU is probably the source of your problem. that is a seriously underpowerd PSU to be running a P4 system. I am suprised it even boots. is this a brand name computer or one that someone built for you?

It's a Packard Bell. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, it does say "260-280V AC Input". 250W is the max output power.

that is a very underpowered PSU to be runing a P4 system. I have seen 300 watt PSU fail to boot a P4 system. the minimum PSU I will even put in a P4 rig is 430 watts.

That's a tiny bit worrying. It might just be me reading it wrong, but do you think that's the problem I'm having? Not enough power? My old graphics card was fine.

Your new card with a fan draws more power than your old fanless card did. if you have access to another systema and could install your new card there you could see if it is the card or not.

Maybe it is the PSU maybe it isnt. you do have a SIS chipset and that could be the problem. ( I dont have a very high opinon of SIS chipsets, they are to buggy )

iss said:
Your new card with a fan draws more power than your old fanless card did. if you have access to another systema and could install your new card there you could see if it is the card or not.

That makes alot of sense- I'm trying to update my motherboard's BIOS now (I presume I put the .ROM file I got onto a CD and boot from it), after I try that I'll look into it some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back