ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 Blocky - Help =(

Status
Not open for further replies.

NovaDemon

I installed this into my computer earlier today, at the start it was blocky, updated drivers still blocky, No idea what the problem could be.

sometimes only this blocky but randomly spreads about on desktop icons etc

untitled2.jpg

and has gotten this blocky too

untitled.jpg

Any help appreciated

Comp Specs

XP HOME
Intel Celeron 2.66GHZ
512 +256 DDR

Any other info needed i can try suply.

Please help =(

Did you uninstall your old graphics driver before trying to install the new ATI driver?

A177-3025COUT2.jpg

Your card may look a little different, but this is where you need to hook up the power if you haven't already.

i used the 1 from the PSU which goes to the hard drive then to the Graphics card i think i will have to double check where it comes from exactly.

i read somewhere else that i may need a bigger PSU, would this be true?

Just checked and cable from PSU to HD to Graphics card

mailpup said:
Did you uninstall your old graphics driver before trying to install the new ATI driver?

think it was an onboard graphics card so couldn't find anything to uninstall.

I tried this card out on my old computer which i built from scratch and had the same problem, that is why i put it all back in its packaging, now trying on a different computer, but having the same problem

It may be true that you need a stronger PSU. What do you have in there now? Open up your case, and look at the sticker attached to the PSU. Who is the maker? How many watts? And most importantly, how many amps on the +12v rail(s)?

NovaDemon said:
I tried this card out on my old computer which i built from scratch and had the same problem, that is why i put it all back in its packaging, now trying on a different computer, but having the same problem

If it is not working in two machines, it is possible that you received a faulty card. Try this, just to rule out overheating. Open up your case, and point a house fan directly on the video card. See if that stops the wacky glitches you are getting, or at least makes them less frequent. If it does, you have an overheating problem.

It is also possible that on BOTH machines, you failed to remove the drivers of the onboard graphics (as mailpup is pointing out).

Go into your device manager and delete the drivers for your onboard graphics,and also go into your bios and ensure that the "init boot display" setting is set to AGP.

DonNagual said:
It may be true that you need a stronger PSU. What do you have in there now? Open up your case, and look at the sticker attached to the PSU. Who is the maker? How many watts? And most importantly, how many amps on the +12v rail(s)?

Maker - Enlight Corporation
Peak Load - 300watts

DC output ----
+12v----- This is what it says going down in
10A----- the little chart thing on the sticker
120w -----

DonNagual said:
It is also possible that on BOTH machines, you failed to remove the drivers of the onboard graphics (as mailpup is pointing out).

the 1st computer i tried it on never had an onboard graphics card, it was completely fresh.

DonNagual said:
What was the PSU on that one? Was it also a 300W with only 10amps on the +12v?

i can't answer that 1 at the moment i'm afraid, im at my girlfriends at the moment for a few days. The computer i tried it in last time which i sold to my sister now has a 256mb graphics card in it and runs fine, but off the top of my head i can't say what it is

Well then, based on what is posted above, I'd say it can only be one of three things:

1. The card is faulty (DOA)
2. The card's fan/heatsink is faulty (try my suggestion above of blowing a house fan on it to see if that fixes it temporarily)
3. It is conflicting with drivers. To troubleshoot this, go into your device manager and delete the drivers for both your onboard and the new ATI drivers. Reboot (with the monitor plugged into the 9800pro) and install the ATI drivers again from scratch.

My guess though... is that you have a dead card, seeing as it doesn't work on two different computers, one of which seemingly has a decent PSU (if it is powering a 256mb card no problem).

But back to the issue of your current PSU, I'd say you may want to consider upgrading it as well. You can get a great high quality 400w psu with 30amps on the +12v rails for $37 on newegg. Look for PSUs by "fortron".

The one you currently have was not really designed with high end graphics cards in mind. And that 9800pro (although starting to get a bit dated now) is still a very powerful graphics card.

well i live in england and i guess i need new power suply and graphics card, can't really afford £100's but i hope i can pick up a 400w power supply like you said for about £15-20. I saw a few on Ebay like this 1:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/400-Watt-ATX-...858943645QQcategoryZ42020QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and i need to find a good but cheap graphics card 128mb or 256mb but can't afford alot.

im just going to go into town to local computer shop see what they have.

Thanks very much for you help.

I have had this card sitting in its box for a long time now and warranty lost or ran out so i know i can't get anything back from it.

What do you suggest i do? sell it on as working but faulty? or see if a computer shop accepts it? or throw it?

Thanks very much for all the help you all have provided by the way =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back