ATI Radeon X Pro 1600 AGP 512mb computer randomly restarts itself while gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a ATI Radeon X Pro 1600 AGP 512mb video card I got several days ago. Every game I run my computer randomly restarts itself after 3 mins - an hour of playing time. I'm currently updating my direct x and I have all the lastest drivers for my card. I called ATI's tech support and I was told to update my agp controller's driver (Intel 82865g), which I could only find one from as early as 2003. There is another driver from intel I could get from 2005, but apparently when I downloaded and ran the installation it says its missing a file and cannot complete installation. Still, with the agp update, it still restarts after an hour of play.

So....

1) Does anyone know where I can get that driver with all the files in the installation? (if anyone thinks that happends to be the problem)
2) Does the power supply have anything to do with it? Does anyone think theres not enough power getting to the card?
3) I don't think this is the problem, but would heating be an issue? I would think it would shut off instead of restart if it was over heating.

System Specs:

P4 3.0ghz (hyperthreading)
Asus MoBo
2 gigs of ram
430w powersupply
ATI Radeon X Pro 1600 AGP 512mb

ok so I cacluated it and it says I need at least 327w, and I have 430w so I guess that answers that question. I just was playing Railroads! for like a half hour and it just restarted on my again after updating my directx. This is so driving me crazy. Anyone else know?

Go into start menu, settings,control panel, system! Then advanced, startup and recovery, settings and take the tick out of "automatically restart" then reboot!!!!

With a bit of luck you will possibly get useful error messages instead of restarts!!!!

Did what you said in the control panel and about a half hour into the game it restarted again. This is insane....you think you pay enough for something it should work right no questions asked, right? anyway, any more suggestions??

You could get speedfan from the downloads section and use it to monitor things for a while!!!!

well you know what i already have it. my computer used to overheat until i installed a new heatsink. what should i be monitoring? and how?

Both temps and voltages can be monitored!!!!

You could have a voltage rail going too low for example!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back