ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 Series (256mb) Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattie673

A few months ago I got a new PC with the ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 Series graphics card. From the day I got it, I've been having problems with the graphics card. When I play a game, which my PC can handle, the PC goes very slow unless I put the graphics settings to low. Also, I can't play a DVD on my PC, it says there is a problem with my graphics card.

Can anyone help?

I have the latest drivers. (ATI Catalyst 7.10)

PC Spec
DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2800 MHz (14 x 200) 5600+
nVIDIA nForce 6100-4xx, AMD Hammer
2048 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
Radeon X1300/X1550 Series (256 MB)
596.1 GB Hard Drive Space

Any more information required just ask :)

Thanks
, Mattie!

What games are you trying to play? What card do you actually have? It may be from that series but the X1300 and the X1550 are two different cards with the X1550 a bit better. Anyway, they are both fairly low powered cards for high end gaming. Depending on the games you are trying to play, low settings might be the only way to play them.

That said, if you haven't already, go into the BIOS and disable the onboard graphics. As long as it is enabled, it is unnecessarily tying up some of your system RAM and perhaps it is conflicting with the ATI card.

Games like The Battle for Middle-earth, which should run on my computer. Well thats a problem actually because I don't remember what it was when I bought it and it just says "Radeon X1300/X1550 Series (256 MB)" :/

I'm not sure how to go into the bios and disable the onboard graphics. Could you possibly tell me how to?

BIOS Type
Award (06/15/07)

Thanks, Mattie

well to get into BIOS
when your computer is starting up press the F-key it tells you to

its probably F1 or F2
mine is F2

plus
if you know how, go into device manager and find the area called device adapters

it should tell you specifically which card you have

(to get to device manager(in XP) right click the my computer icon and select properties, then under the tab that says hardware, press the button that says device manager)

To elaborate a bit on what PimpPanther said, when the computer first starts up, it should tell you to press a certain key = Setup. Sometimes there are other keys named for other purposes but the key for "Setup" gets you into the BIOS. After making any changes in the BIOS, don't forget to exit and SAVE.

Another way to find out what graphics card you have is to go to: Start > Run and in the box type in the word dxdiag and click OK. When the report is generated, click on the "Display" tab.

If the graphics card is a X1300, it might be below the minimum specs for the game. It is newer with newer features than the minimum Radeon 7500 but not necessarily a higher performing card. I think the X1550 meets the minimum.

I've gone into the BIOS but it didn't have an onboard graphics enabled. I just found out that there is a later version of the driver and I have installed that but I still get the same problems.. :/

I tried the "dxdiag" method and it still just says "Radeon X1300/X1550 Series"

I know my PC can handle the games I'm trying because I used the website "System Requirements Lab" which tells you if your PC can handle the game.

Thanks a lot, Mattie.

Your PC might meet the minimum requirements for the games you want to play but that only means it will at least play at minimum levels. You already know it will play at low levels. If you want to play at higher frame rates or higher settings or both, you will have to get a better graphics card (IMHO).

Well, then there might be something wrong with the card. After all, it should be able to handle DVDs with ease. I forgot about that part. Did this card come with the PC or was it added afterwards? Also, when you installed graphics drivers, did you uninstall the old driver before installing the new one?

Can you elaborate on the error message you got when trying to play a DVD?

It's the one that came with it. I haven't even opened it up because I don't want to void the warrenty. When I try an play a DVD on any program it doesn't work and on Windows Media Player it says

"Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card."

Thanks, Mattie.

Post your make and model computer

Here is my guess and an easy way to test/fix

Change your date on your computer to before December 1st 2006 then try and play a dvd. If it works then the problem is the codec and I can post you a link but need make and model of your computer (sounds like a DELL)

It's a Dell Inspiron 531. I tried changing to an earlier date but it still came up with the same message :(

Thanks, Mattie.

This is NOT a video card problem I am very familiar with ATI and their errors (btw Catalyst 7.11 is the latest).

It is a problem with your DVD decoder. What OS do you have installed? if vista - is it home basic <-(im guessing again here)

Yeah I have the latest but still have all the same problems. I have Vista Home 32 bit. When I played a DVD without any ATI software installed the DVD played :/

Thanks, Mattie.

I don't actually have any at the moment as I uninstalled it because it didn't work. I'll get one now and try it.

http://www.free-codecs.net/Vista_Codec_Package_download.htm

new version came out 2 days ago, but older one should work too. Vista Codec Package does not contain a media player. It does not associates filetypes. With this package installed you will be able to use any media player (limited by the players capabilities) to play DVD's, movies and video clips such as quicktime, realmedia, avi, mpeg, Flv, swf, wmv, etc. Streaming video is supported in most web browsers. By default you shouldn't need to make any adjustments to enjoy your media content immediately.

Users have the ability to choose what is installed using the public redistributable and after an unattended install, you can select to remove specific portions without removing the entire package. Future releases will recognize previous releases and perform upgrade installations.

I use catalyst 7.7 btw

Edit:This is a licensing issue between microsoft and 3rdparty vendors. For example you wouldn't expect your computer to just play blue ray or hddvd. It's really the same for DVD even though dvd is old and widely accepted. Roxio and Cyberlink have also released a good stand alone codec if you want those you can search for them

I tried the Vista pack and the problem didn't go away, so I went back to my old one (Latest K-Lite Codec Pack) and uninstalled all the ATI software but the DVD isn't playing like it did last time. I'm really confused :(

Thanks, Mattie.

sorry that was the wrong one let me go back

http://aaron-kelley.net/downloads/hotfix/

that is what i meant to post - it is a log of hotfixes released for vista and the dates and links to download them. I didn't look through there to much but thought it may be in there. There is one about WMP

The other thing is run windows update and look at the optional updates also

I guess the best place to start would be can you play video through WMP that is not on disk. Can you download something and play it through WMP off flash drive or harddrive

"HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H31N SCSI CdRom Device" I think I've updated all my firmware but I may be wrong. I'll just check!

Thanks, Mattie.

Edit: I just updated the DVD drive firmware but I still get the same problem :(!!

I am almost positive you get that problem because the DVD's you are trying to watch are region-coded/CSS-encrypted/ARccOS-protected DVDs

Thats why I have posted the suggestions in this order that i did. It seems like you are not able to decode the DVD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back