ATI X800 pro issue - looking for help

Status
Not open for further replies.
It maybe that I'm an *****, I don't know, but any idea that anyone's got might just help me out.

I just purchased an ATI X800pro. After cleaning out my old NVidia drivers and installing the new ATI drivers I'm experiencing diplay issues. I'm getting artifacts in the boot up screen, strange characters are displayed when it shows the BIOS and boot up info, and then just before windows (XP) starts up, the display goes black. My system actually gets into windows, but I can't see anything on my screen.

Any advice would be great.

System info:

motherboard: ASUS P4S533-X
processor: Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz
512 megs ram (sad I know)
two hard drives: 60 gig, 120 gig
power: 420
graphics card: ATI X800 pro

anything you got, might help.

Thanks,

Bubba

x800 Power / Cleanliness Issues

Hi,

I recently had the same symptoms on my PC that I had built in December and had been running for a few months with an ATI x800 Pro 256MB AGP card. The same artifacts were appearing on the screen and then Windows would start loading and then the video feed to the monitor would be lost before the desktop appeared. The monitor was showing standby (yellow light) because of no feed. I play lots of games and I was playing World of Warcraft when this (texture/pixelation mess up) happened. Annoying.

What I did that apparently fixed it was uninstall drivers and then reinstall them, open my case (with all power off and unplugged to reset cache, etc...), unpluged the molex from the x800, took out the card physically, blew dust off it and the AGP slot, cleaned my motherboard of dust, reinstalled the x800, and I think this is the most important part, used a different power lead to connect the card to the power supply. The one it was on was the one for all my periphs. and drives and I think it wasn't getting enough power. It's now NOT using the purple molex cable that come with it for connections, but one from the power supply itself (black plastic molex). MAKE SURE IT'S PLUGGED IN TIGHT! I booted and started playing, and nothing wrong since. So it may be power or dust. Easy as pie. And my hardware accel. is at full by the way and is flawless. Here's what I'm running:

Intel P4 Prescott 3.0GHz
ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
OCZ 2x 512 Low Latecy RAM
ATI x800 AGP 256MB
SATA RAID-0 2x Seagate Baraccuda 7200.7's 80GB
Antec 420W Quiet PS

David Anderson :)

You may have done this but just in case .
It is important to remove old drivers and reboot the machine once with your video set to Standard windows vga drivers,before installing the new card.
When uninstalling a card and immediately install the new card ,all old files are not cleaned out of your machine.
Since you new card is already in you can still do this by removing the ATI drvers and revert to Standard vga for 1 reboot then re-install.
Also are you using the drvrs off of an install disk or the latest download from ATI ?

Hi

Hey I got the same type of problem with my card. The best guess is the power supply. It has to be about 350 to 400w to run this card properly. Only consider changing the psu once you've tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling as described above though.
My guess is that your card gets enough juice to run some kind of display but not enough to provide a sufficient job.

Regis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back