ATM operators looking to replace outgoing XP with Linux

Shawn Knight

Staff member

financial firms linux windows support dries atm windows 7 windows xp atm operators

A number of financial firms and ATM operators are considering a move to Linux as Microsoft’s April 8 end-of-support date for Windows XP is quickly approaching. Migrating to the open source OS would reportedly give operators more control over both hardware and software upgrade cycles.

As outlined in a recent article from Computerworld, operators would prefer to sync their hardware and software upgrade cycles. That is difficult to do now with Microsoft in charge of the software upgrade schedule. As such, some operators and financial firms are exploring the use of non-Microsoft operating systems according to David Tente, executive director of the ATM Industry Association in the US.

Back in January it was reported that a whopping 95 percent of the world’s ATMs were powered by Windows XP, an operating system that Microsoft launched more than 12 years ago. Some have prepared ahead of time for the inevitable but even still, 60 percent of the 400,000 ATMs in the US are expected to still be using XP once the deadline has passed.

ATM operators have known for quite some time that official support for XP was winding down so it’s not like it snuck up on anyone. And despite the fact that Microsoft will continue to provide anti-malware support through mid-2015, the effectiveness of those solutions will be limited.

So why then would operators seemingly wait until the last minute (or beyond) to convert to a new OS? The likely answer is that they simply wanted to get the most mileage out of XP and existing hardware. ATMs and POS terminals will soon need to be updated to support the new wave of PIN and microchip-powered cards set to take hold late next year so maybe others will knock out both upgrades at the same time?

Permalink to story.

Migrating to the open source OS would reportedly give operators more control over both hardware and software upgrade cycles.

What? lol
Do they mean they just never want to upgrade?

I know some folks are in love with Linux.
I worked in Enterprise support for many years, supporting UNIX then LINUX, and believe me LINUX is no panacea.
Just because it is open source doesn't mean it is not vulnerable to hacking. Anybody who worked in the UNIX/LINUX world and had to deal with customers who wouldn't install the Security fixes we sent then knows this.
Next- whose distro is best?
Who is going to support the distro?

The article indicates that operators want to sync hardware and software upgrades. Does that mean they won't be upgrading software when a new vulnerability is found until the next hardware upgrade cycle?

The last time I watched my banks ATM boot up it was still using OS2, and that was not that long ago.

Hey we're lucky their spending any money on ATM's, usually the banksters are too busy spending on fast cars and even faster hookers.

Anything to replace XP. Open Source is always good.

Are you sure? Open source has its place, but always good... seriously?

I didn't mean to come across as harsh. It's just that XP had its prime moment. It is truly the banks' and ATM vendors' responsibility to keep their product up-to-date. Blaming this on a 12 years old operating system just isn't fair.

Not that commercial software has no flaws (far from it) but here are three HUGE open source security issues, all from Ars. There are many more. As "guest" pointed out above, all software needs security patches and maintenance, open source or not.

Linux critical crypto flaw
http://arstechnica.com/security/201...linux-hundreds-of-apps-open-to-eavesdropping/

And a old ones:
Linux malware attack
http://arstechnica.com/security/201...malware-serving-tsunami-of-spam-and-exploits/

PHP bugs
http://arstechnica.com/security/201...ijacking-still-menaces-internet-22-months-on/

Well... Linux is open-source,

the bank maybe make their own distro & maintained by them... logically they have more control over the software & hardware upgrade cycle.

I didn't mean to come across as harsh. It's just that XP had its prime moment. It is truly the banks' and ATM vendors' responsibility to keep their product up-to-date. Blaming this on a 12 years old operating system just isn't fair.

Not that commercial software has no flaws (far from it) but here are three HUGE open source security issues, all from Ars. There are many more. As "guest" pointed out above, all software needs security patches and maintenance, open source or not.

Linux critical crypto flaw
http://arstechnica.com/security/201...linux-hundreds-of-apps-open-to-eavesdropping/

And a old ones:
Linux malware attack
http://arstechnica.com/security/201...malware-serving-tsunami-of-spam-and-exploits/

PHP bugs
http://arstechnica.com/security/201...ijacking-still-menaces-internet-22-months-on/
That is true, but then again, those bugs can always be fixed. You can never have a 100% secure OS until quantum encryption comes to prime time.

I'm surprised that they weren't prepared for a new alternative for the inevitable cease of support for Windows XP. It had been mentioned a good number of times :/

These bankers are like some taxpayers of my country. waiting for the the last day to file income tax returns to the BIR (IRS equivalent in the philippines), always asking for extensions.
since it was already many years ago that Microsoft has declared the end of support for xp, these bankers should already have tested other alternative OSes.

I'm surprised that they weren't prepared for a new alternative for the inevitable cease of support for Windows XP.
agree with you @NTAPRO.

Why spend money upgrading XP when there is no secure alternative? At least XP is somewhat stable at this point and will no longer be crashed by BSODs from updates.

With all the theft devices for ATMs and 3D printing becoming commonplace, why are we still using ATMs? The new chip system will not stop the theft either. It's already been extensively compromised in Europe. Do a little search for SMART CHIP CREDIT CARD THEFT and read up.

ATMs
I know some folks are in love with Linux.
I worked in Enterprise support for many years, supporting UNIX then LINUX, and believe me LINUX is no panacea.
Just because it is open source doesn't mean it is not vulnerable to hacking. Anybody who worked in the UNIX/LINUX world and had to deal with customers who wouldn't install the Security fixes we sent then knows this.
Next- whose distro is best?
Who is going to support the distro?

The article indicates that operators want to sync hardware and software upgrades. Does that mean they won't be upgrading software when a new vulnerability is found until the next hardware upgrade cycle?

A separate fork just for ATMs would be sensible going for general purpose linux would be as foolish as going to xp in the first place.

ATM's don't do much, a cut down, cut off version of linux would just the ticket

We live a good life, laughing at those who call us banksters while we snort cocaine from the jubblies of a blonde bimbo sitting on the bonnet of our Ferraris.

It's a very interesting choice.... Switching over to Linux won't magic fix this issue. When Linux has a security issues in the kernel. The question is that... Will they update it?

Another issue, many times when Linux update. It breaks the 3rd party drivers while Windows don't break for many years compared to Linux kernel.

Seriously, I would have gone to QNX. A real time kernel is a perfect task for ATM. Plus it has better commercial support and their ATM drivers won't break at the every kernel update.

"With all the theft devices for ATMs and 3D printing becoming commonplace, why are we still using ATMs? The new chip system will not stop the theft either. It's already been extensively compromised in Europe. Do a little search for SMART CHIP CREDIT CARD THEFT and read up."

I don't understand this..
first, care to explain what is the connection between ATM theft with 3D printing? is that mean you will need a 3D printing to make a dummy/fake ATM card?
second, seriously? we still need ATMs.. period

Back