Attempting to install linux for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BiZ

Ok i read through your instructions in the sticky, but my computer wont boot from the CD and i didnt see anything about a linux boot disk. So i was hoping someone could tell me where to get one.

You computer is unable to boot from any CD? Including Windows ones? If yes, then you should go over your boot settings in BIOS. If it is only the Linux CD that doesn't boot then it is either corrupt or you burned it wrong.

Usually you can find the floppy images on the very same Linux CD together with the utility to write them to a floppy disk.

Safe Mode

I know a little but we have 3 computer in the living room 5 if you include labtops so any who all of them have a linksys wireless G PCI net adapter except for one we're having a problem with (this not including labtop) this computer is around 7-8 years old I don't know how it stays alive well it doesn't work (connection to internet) im guessing its really old so how new is your computer also try going into safe mode uninstalling your cd drivers then clickon IDE ATA/ATAPI.
if theres a yellow excimation point (conflicticting device)then remove the first device only, if not leave it alone after that do everything else get out of safe mode and it should reinstall itself

ps:note anything goes wrong concider system restore

Hope everything goes well and if this didn't help you contact the linksys company maybe

Nah its not that. I installed linux fedora core 4 on HDB which is set as a slave.
Fresh install on Windows XP was put on HDA before i installed linux. So, i guess GRUB didnt set up right and now i cant get linux to boot.

Confusion is in the sticky for installing linux it said it would prompt to burn a boot disk, it didnt and LILO wasnt a option only GRUB was.

So basically, your boot loader isn't launching?
Does WinXP start?
Do you get a No System Disk error?

I believe that during the install, you get the option to install the boot loader to the MBR or first sector of the hard disk. If you install it to the first sector, then you should be able to edit the boot.ini file for WinXP to point Fedora to HDB, therefore using NTloader to launch windows or grub (grub would then launch Fedora).

Its been a long time since I configured a dual boot system. Do a search on these forums as there's a couple HOWTO's on this.

Yea i'm sending this from WinXP. I can even set HBB to start to boot and it will show "GRUB" on a black screen but it just stays there.

I got it, i just ran rescue disk and reinstalled the boot loader to hda. Only problem now is sound.

Correction that didnt fix it.... ran the rescue disk and installed the bootloader to hda1(win xp partition). So im guessing that means it set the MBR to boot linux. Anyone know instructions for adding XP to it?

Hem.. By installing the Linux bootloader to the Windows partition you effectively destroyed the Windows bootloader..

Start over. Boot into Windows recovery console and run fixboot and fixmbr. Boot into Linux rescue and install your bootloader to hda (this is the disk itself, not a partition like hda1, hda5 etc).

I checked it, it installed the bootloader to HDA. Not the partition HDA1.

OK. So where are you now? The bootloader comes up but your only choice is to boot into Linux?

Adding the Windows choice to a working Linux bootloader is easy. DO you have lilo or GRUB?

I got it figured out. Now trying to figure out this WINE/Cedega programs :giddy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back