Attempting to load XP OS and received a STOP error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I am attempting to load XP OS and the PC just rebooted itself after successfuly loading a partition. When the PC came back up I received the following error...ouch

"STOP: c0000221 {BAD IMGE CHECKSUM}
The image SHLWAP1.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

Does anyone have any ideas what I've encountered?

Thanks

T

Internet Explorer issue

the file SHLWAP1.dll is related to installing Internet Explorer possible version 6 on your Cd, this part of the CD (with the file on it) may be damaged. Or your system ram may be faulty

IE7 can be downloaded here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3385-447C-8A30-081805B2F90B&displaylang=en
But this won't help if you can't get into Windows!

You may wish to download memtest on a bootable CD to check your Ram.
Or confirm that your Windows CD is without defect (clean not scratched)

In either case if Windows is not starting you will need to re-install or Repair it.

Thank you.

I'll try to install the OS again when I get home. I'll check for scratches. How can I repair the disk as you alluded to below?

Thanks

Tonya

HELP...Attempting to instal XP OS......

I followed the steps noted on the "http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/part3.htm". However, when I get to this screen "Repair the XP installation" screen" which is the 1st slide on part 2 I of the attachment I instead receive a message about existing partitions. and unpartitioned space. I'm presented with 3 options. 1st continue setting up XP. 2nd - create a partition in the inpartioned space. Then 3rd-select and delete a partion.

I'm stumped. Can anyone help? I've tried deleting the partion and starting over. when I do I receive the error message:

The image SHLWAP1.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

HELP....

Thanks

Tonya

Hello. I am attempting to load XP OS
Was there any user data, or is this just a clean install ?

I've tried deleting the partion and starting over
So have you actually removed the partition ? (that means everything has gone)

I'm presented with 3 options
You needed to select 1st continue setting up XP
Also, we are speaking about the second R prompt, not the first one, according to the steps. But this prompt will NOT be there if there is nothing on the drive

The image SHLWAP1.dll is possibly corrupt
This was your first (and original / possibly only fault)
Did you follow my steps on my first post about this ? Running Memtest and checking the disc for scratches ?

I think the concern now is that Windows is possibly gone (including all user data)
Therefore forget Repair, and install Windows clean (removing the partition again)
And you may still have memory issues (physical Ram)

Starting a new XP OS install

To answer questions:

A clean install. Yes. I thought I'd deleted the partition via the delete option. yes-this R prompt was the 2nd option. Yes, I followed your steps.

When you say "Windows is probably gone" are you referring to the CD-ROM? I don't think windows is on the harddrive.

Questions-Maybe I should purchase another internal harddrive and replace the drive thats in the CPU....Is that a challenging task?

Thanks

Tonya

Hi Tonya,

OK so you don't need the R prompt (and possible never did) this is only for repairing Windows that is already installed on the drive.

Windows is probably gone - what I mean really is that the Hard Drive is blank

Purchasing a new drive:
Well you need to confirm if it's Sata or ATA (please refer to the online users manual)
Also what size you want in Gigabytes

But we haven't really confirmed if the ram is faulty or not
Downloading the Memtest, will create a Boot CD, that you can use on your (and anyones) computer, to confirm your Ram, is actually not causing the fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back