Atx / Btx

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure it was a failure. Intel always pushes things like the BTX form factor through. But they never succede.

Kind of like RD-RAM or what ever its called.

BTX never caught on. I have no idea why, but I know that some (correct me if I'm wrong) of the Dell XPS line uses BTX Cases.

BTX went the way of Dodo.

Maybe not.

But anyway, BTX was not really meant for high end systems from what I recall, its more for the basic office system. Given that its the gamers/enthusiasts that more or less dictate what stays and what doesn't, BTX was doomed when they announced it....

It wasn't a bad form factor tho, its just that we enthusiasts prefer to have cold air running through everything, instead of having warm air being sucked through the CPU, then through the PSU, etc, etc. We'd rather just get a couple more fans, which was what BTX was trying to acheive: less fans.

It might still stick around, and with a few mods, it might just make it.

RDRAM failed cos of different reasons, it was a good try I'd say with that too, just that Intel couldn't keep its promises of higher capacity. Not in time at least.

Dual Channel DDR RAM killed it a few months later.

My gameing system is BTX (for now, will likely upgrade soon). It does offer exceptional cooling keeping a tosty Pentium 4 extreme edition down to 45C under load. BTX died because it was created to meet the cooling needs of the grossly inefficient "prescott" core and its derivatives. AMD never adopted the form-factor because its' processers did not need the extra cooling and when intel came out with cooler running chips (Core2Duo) the added cooling was unnecessary and it was far more cost efficent for manufactures to keep the current ATX standard than to redesign their hardware.

CMH said:
It wasn't a bad form factor tho, its just that we enthusiasts prefer to have cold air running through everything, instead of having warm air being sucked through the CPU, then through the PSU, etc, etc. We'd rather just get a couple more fans, which was what BTX was trying to acheive: less fans.

While many manufactures chose that route to quiet their systems custom building a BTX system allowed for exceptionally good cooling.

My BTX system has 2 120 mm fans (1 front, 1 rear), a 92mm fan for the CPU, and a 92 mm fan to cool the HDDs and video card.

cfitzarl said:
BTX never caught on. I have no idea why, but I know that some (correct me if I'm wrong) of the Dell XPS line uses BTX Cases.

most current Dell and Gateway systems use BTX (though I suspect they will switch back to ATX when they redesing their systems again).

BTX cases are still avalible but BTX motherboards are virtually impossible to find.

Interesting notes. But I am sure new cooling designs could be incorporated into ATX as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back