ATX power connector appears BURNT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jp4444

This morning the wife reported her computer was rebooting itself automatically. By the time I got to it, it was in BIOS saying something about the CPU not performing properly. I made sure it was at default frequency (1666 MHz) and rebooted. Sometimes I got into Windows without rebooting, sometimes not. CPU temp was about 65C, chassis 39C. No alarms. I honestly don't know what it normally has been running at. I opened things up and played around a bit and noticed that 1 of the 2 fans on the PSU, the interior "intake" fan, was not turning at all. I checked everything out some more (chassis fans, etc) and restarted. It ran pretty well for a while, rebooted once, and then ran perfectly fine (as my MP3 server) for the rest of the day. Tonight after work I pulled everything out to investigate. I could not get the power plug to easily pull out of the motherboard, and upon further inspection noticed some dark discoloring. I finally got it to lift slightly, and could see that a few pins looked rusted or burnt. I sprayed a tiny bit of wd40 and got the adapter loose.

Have a look see. Something definitely spiked - any/all the pins that are hot (4 red wires) appear burnt.

Obviously between that and the dead fan, it's time to scrap this PSU. My question is what I should do with the mobo, and what should I expect from it now? The machine ran fine all day (maybe several?) like this - so as far as I know all components are totally fine. Is it possible to replace the white plastic outlet on the mobo (and clean the pins at the same time)? Or are those affected pins just a time-bomb no matter what?

This is an old rig that's been together in this config (except for hard drive upgrades) since 10/2003.
Asus A7V8X, Athlon XP 2000+, Antec 350SL, ThermalTake HSF, etc. It was behind a Powercom UPS unit and one APC power strip.

Collateral question--
After being away for the weekend about a month ago, I came home to a shot AC/DC adapter on my D-Link gigabit switch. About a week and a half ago my next-door-neighbor's TV would not turn on any more after some noticeable/strange power surges. Is there something I should start monitoring in respect to our power situation?

yea, I know!

Just wondering if there's anything else I can do for the mobo... I pulled it out today and scraped the little bits of charred plastic out of the two really bad pin areas and made sure a new harness plug would slide in properly... Will go pick up a new power supply tomorrow prbly. Hopefully everything else holds up

nothing much. Try a new PSU. If it doesn't work, you'll need to get a new mobo and reinstall windows.

NO you cannot reuse your old windows again. (it must be reinstalled)

um okay....

A few months ago I was about this [] close to putting ubuntu on it actually, but I know the wife will freak out without some stupid nothing app like Myspace IM.....

sorry. I have never been a linux/ or unix fan - it is too user unfriendly. Almost all the systems we have at work run on unix and I absolutely hate it.

update

Just as an update- I replaced the fried PSU with an EarthWatts 380 and every thing's been running fine since. I guess I'm lucky the power supply didn't take anything with it.

I am very curious though as to what caused this issue - many small repeated surges, 1 catastrophic one, or something entirely different... I called my electric co-op and complained about all the equipment my neighbor and I lost last month. Today they just installed some type of surge monitor at the meter which will be there a couple of weeks to monitor/chart any surges coming off the pole/transformer. Will be interesting to see if that yields anything.

Tedster said:
nothing much. Try a new PSU. If it doesn't work, you'll need to get a new mobo and reinstall windows.

NO you cannot reuse your old windows again. (it must be reinstalled)
If the HDD is OK, then it is a simply matter of swapping the HDD into a new computer... I do this all the time... and have never had to re-install Windows unless the HDD failed...

Frank Smith said:
If the HDD is OK, then it is a simply matter of swapping the HDD into a new computer... I do this all the time... and have never had to re-install Windows unless the HDD failed...

I took his comment as just being sarcastic/smart :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back