Audigy Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

olefarte

I've got an Audigy sound card set to quad speakers. It goes back to stereo by itself, and I've never been able to tell just when, ie. when I boot up, or reboot, but it's not immediate. I just suddenly notice its back to two speakers.

Also, I have updated the driver once since I bought the computer, with no problem, but the latest driver, I cannot get to install. I have tried uninstalling the old driver, and also installing over the old one. It still shows the last driver, not the new one.

Has anybody else had these problems?

I'm not sure if this applies to Audigy cards as it does to SB Live! cards, have you make sure that the speaker presets are properly installed thorugh the Speaker Preset Setup?

Y&W, I guess I don't have that or at least I don't know about it, unless you are talking about the settings in AudioHQ. I've got the settings at quad speakers. They just seem to change by themselves.

Hmm.....sorry for the confusion. Just to confirmed if its really not there, search for this file "SpeakerPreset.exe".

Ran a search and didn't find it. It's been working okay until just the last week or so. I don't think it's because I tried new drivers that didn't work, because that was quite a while back.

The only thing is a game, IGI 2, bit this started a little before that. By the way, I am having problems with this game. It's in another thread.

I'm reposting my problem because it's been a while and I don't have it fixed yet. My problem is I can't get new drivers to install. I spent and hour and a half with a Gateway tech, who took over my machine, this morning. and he made me feel like a genuis. He only did the same things I had been doing. He finally told me as long as I had sound, don't worry about it. Also tried Creative Tech Support, no help there either. Once again, I'm trying to install new Audigy drivers. I have followed Gateway's and Creative's instructions to a tee. I've installed over and that didn't work, so uninstalled, then installed after reboot (said no when Windows wanted to do it). When Window's booted the first time after, the Window's boot song played about half way through and stopped. No sound at all after that. Restored, still wouldn't work. Had to use the driver disk and put the original drivers back in. Now back to the original problem of having AudioHQ changing my speakers from quad to stereo by themselves.

Edit: Also tried going to the cabs file and useing the CZTAPXX.EXE, and that didn't work either, it still shows the old drivers.

If you have sound don't worry about it. Um..... that was a stupid comment on his part then, cuz whats the point of having the audigy and sarround sound if you can't USE the sarround sound? That would be an extreme waste of money.

Yeah, this guy was no smarter than me, and that's not saying to much for him. I finally told him I could live with it, just to be done with it. But the bottom line is my problem is still not fixed. Gateway has always before gave me great service, but I got a dud this time. If anyone can help, I sure would appreciate it.

Did you install the drivers while your internet connection was on? I m running out of ideas anyway, i think the best thing to do rather than wating time which is also the worst case scenario is to format the PC and reinstall with a fresh copy of Windows. By that way, most of your problems will be gone. I m not sure if you will agree with it, but thats just my opnion.

Yeah, I had the internet connected, never thought about that. But, still no luck, still won't install the new driver. The install wizard keeps saying "cannot find a better version" (or newer, cannot remember). I don't think I want to reinstall Windows yet, it's someting I can live with for now. It's just very frustrating, I've never run into a problem like this before, even more so since Techs at Gateway and Creative can't fix it. Awful strange. Thanks, Y&W.

IGI2 is the cause

Olefarte,

Yep IGI2 is the cause, I found the same thing. Just check it out, 4speaker before the game, 2 speakers after.
If your OS allows it you can jump to desktop in the middle of the game and return to 4 speaker.

As time has gone by, I thought about that, but I thought I installed IGI 2 after this started. Maybe not. You maybe right now that I've thought about it, but it doesn't do it everytime. And that still doesn't explain why I can't install new drivers. Thanks seaspyder for the input.

Edit: Just remembered, this game may indeed have sound problems, because it was crashing back to the desktop in level five. The IGI 2 website support recognized this problem and said to change from EAX to Miles Fast 2D Positional Audio and that fixed that problem.

Well, I guess my problem is solved, or I should say time will tell. I just installed the new beta Audigy drivers from the TechSpot home page and they installed with no problem and so far seem to work fine.

Guess my problem is not solved. After installing the beta Audigy drivers, my computer started randomly rebooting, not while playing games, just while surfing the net. Also lost the "hide inactive icons" arrow on the task bar. A couple of icons on my desktop change names, ie. MSN Game Zone changed to Opera. The only other thing that I have changed today is install a Windows update that I had been holding back on (811493), because it's known to slow some computers down. It did mine the first time I tried it, but I thought it was fixed now. It still made it run slow.

At any rate, I restored back, reinstalled the original Audigy drivers from the disc and every thing seems okay now except the hide inactive icon arrow, (the button IS checked for this to work). I've read another thread about this arrow problem, but didn't see anything that would help me. Anybody got any ideas?

The speaker settings resetting is usually a game problem, the latest version of Surround Mixer (Think this applies to the Audigy) includes an option to "Synchronize with Control Panel" as regards speaker setup, which should be unticked.
If that isn't there go to news://news.creative.com as Harvey Fong there should be able to send you a registry file to do this if you post up about the problem.

Thanks Thomas. I couldn't find the option you mentioned in Surround Mixer, I must not have it. But I think you are right about it being game related. I don't think I had this problem before I started playing IGI 2. It seems like that's the only time it happens, but not every time I play. I'm also playing Red Faction II, and Unreal II, doesn't seem to happen when playing these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back