Audio AND Video troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.chowder

Hi, I'm running an Athlon XP 1800 with an Asus A7N8X motherboard. I just put this motherboard in last night, because my old one was shot. But now i'm having a couple problems. First off, I can't install the multimedia audio controller, it can't seem to find the drivers for it. I have an SB Live! audio card installed, and i have installed it's drivers, but the device manager still says there's a problem with the multimedia audio controller. Thus, i have no sound.

My second, and much less important problem, is that i can no longer set the display past 1024x768. I used to like running at 1280x960, but now the screen is garbled if i try to go higher than 1024x768. I have a Geforce4 Ti 4200. This is little more than a slight inconvenience, i can live with my current display settings.

any help would be great! Thanks!

First of all before heading to install your SB Live Soundcard, please make sure that the onboard sound is disabled via the "Integrated Components" sub menu in the BIOS. That could be the culprit behind your failure to get the card working. If possible, try to get hold of the most recent drivers for your sound card.

With regards to the second question, how wide is your screen? Have you tried installing another set of graphics drivers?

Fixed the first problem, thanks

The newest drivers for my card didn't help. My moniter is 19 inches. Any other suggestions?

EDIT:

Looks like my first problem wasn't fixed after all. When I turned off the Mobo's AC 97 audio controller, i was unable to get sound, no matter where i plugged in the speakers or if the SB Live drivers were installed. I then turned on the audio controller, and plugged the speakers into the mobo's jack, and then if i installed the SB Live drivers, i could get sound, but ONLY if i didn't reboot the computer after installing them. As soon as i reboot, the sound no longer works and i have to uninstall the drivers, reboot, and re-install the drivers without rebooting to get some sound again. This is quite frustrating, and it's what was happening with my old motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back