Audio Card Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrprimo55

I have a question and I'm just gonna say right off the bat that I know it might sound a little stupid but if you could help I would greatly appreciate it. Here goes: I was over my friends house yesterday ridding his computer of spyware, malware, and the likes. You know the drill. Anyways that all went fine, but when I finished he showed me another problem that he was having. Someone in his house had been fooling with the computer and now his sound didn't work. I looked in device manager and it said that the audio card was disabled because Windows was unable to start it properly. I reinstalled the driver and Windows found the right driver and started to install it, and it made it seem as though everything went fine, but then when it finished it said that it was unable to install the driver because it did not have permission, or it did not have access rights, or something of that nature. I know that sounds really stupid, but I just looked at it quickly before I had to leave. I tried simply uninstalling it and letting Windows install it on the boot-up but it did the same thing. I thought maybe the card could be loose inside or something, but I looked inside and its an onboard audio card so its built into the motherboard. I know this isnt much help again, but I dont know the type of audio card it was. I can call you this: its a very cheap Compaq Presario desktop. It only has 128mb RAM and its fairly new (within 6 months or so), so it was probably a base model. The name of the audio card started with either RC- or RJ- followed by some numbers, Im pretty sure. I know I sound really stupid asking for help because I dont really have a lot of information, but I could really use the help and I will try and get the card name and more about the error when I get the chance. Thanks.

If the computer has Windows 2000 or XP installed you might get that error if your not logged on as a user with administration rights.

Tweak420 is right, that could be the problem. But, if the computer is only six months old, another option would be to call Compaq tech support, as it surely is still in warranty. They might be able to connect to the computer and see what is wrong with it, if they can't talk you through it.

Tweak420 said:
If the computer has Windows 2000 or XP installed you might get that error if your not logged on as a user with administration rights.

Ya thats what I thought, but it is XP and theres only one user so it has to have administration rights, right? I also tried doing it in Safe Mode under Administrator and it gave me the same message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back