Audio driver not automatically found

Status
Not open for further replies.

dugawug

i had a pro sound card on my machine (A8V deluxe mobo, XP SP2) but now i've removed it, uninstalled it completely and am going back to the regular onboard audio.

i re-installed the onboard's driver but when it goes to automatically search for the driver, it can't find it. i've tried manually pointing to a few areas, but it doesn't find it anywhere.

what to do?

btw, it is the latest driver.

thanks, but my driver is a download from Asus with an auto installer. it seems to install fine, shows up in my Programs list.

but it does not auto detect it, and i can't figure out what file it should be pointing to.

i've tried dozens of "shots in the dark" and nothing works.

it's very strange. i'm wondering if something about my old audio driver is causing this problem, if it's a service i disabled (i had many services disabled before), or possibly a registry thing (i've used registry mechanic).

i realize these are all unlikely, but just FYI there are these uncommon variables on my system.

i guess i just need to somehow find what is the exact .inf i should be pointing to. not sure how to figure that out though

If you read grendy11s post in that thread carefully,I don`t know what else to suggest for the moment.Somebody will know.

something about this is very strange. i even got into the registry and cleaned out everything related to my old audio card (a professional one by Emu).

and though i've used this same driver on the same mobo before, now it simply refuses to tie the driver to the device. says "cannot install this hardware".

if i manually try to choose a driver, it doesn't even show an audio device as a hardware type!!!

anyone?
this makes no sense to me. how could a properly installed driver be suddenly totally unrecognizable as the device's correct driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back