Audio drivers not found?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaded35

last night i was downloading music and browsing the internet then all of a sudden my computer froze, so i restarted it. When my desktop came up the computer froze again so then i shut it off this time and booted it back up again thinking it was just nothing. Then when my desktop came up in the system tray the soundmax icon had an X through it and said that there were no speakers connected to my computer even though just a minute ago they were working fine. So since then i removed and am trying to install soundmax audio drivers to no avail. Everytime i try to install soundmax it keeps giving me an error saying, "driver not found! reboot your system, and run this setup again." What the hell?! Its funny too because my computer was running fine in college yet now i bring it home it has given me all these weird type of errors, this being one of them. I've tried finding the drivers on the asus website but can't find any and i also tried the intel website but can't find any audio drivers there also. Besides this little error everything else works fine on my computer. So if anyone could please help me figure out what the problem is here i would greatly appreciate it

I'm using a custom built comp with an asus p4p800 deluxe motherboard

Welcome to TechSpot but don't be in such a rush, this forum lives by the good grace of volunteers!

Go into Device Manager and uninstall/remove your current soundcard-drivers and that Soundmax.
Then reboot, your PC should redetect your soundcard, upon whic you can re-install soundmax.
HTH

Is this onboard sound or a separate card? If onboard, double-check to make sure it's enabled in the bios. If it's a stand-alone card, I'd suggest you removed it and reseat it.....could be an issue with the card itself or simply just seating.

What os are you using, if its w98 you will have to literally find the folder with the drivers in before it will recognise them.
Dont rely on the automatic find drivers, its useless in 98

soundmax should be listed in the device manager but since it won't install i only have two options in the device manager, which are legacy audio drivers, audio codecs and media control devices. Do i remove them all?

got a response WOOHOO!! I just disconnected everything and connected everything back up. Now when i'm at my desktop and the comp has detected a multimedia audio controller but it won't install anything even though i'm trying to read it from the cd that came with the mobo. Any ideas?

Fix for SoundMax "Drivers not Found Error" for Win2K_XP

OK, I was getting the issue where you run the installer.exe for the soundmax onboard audio and it goes through the whole install and then says "drivers not found" at the end. Here's how I finally fixed it on my 865perl mobo running XP pro:
1) Get the latest drivers. I got mine from the intel site. The installer won't work and you'll get the "drivers not found" error. When you run the install, pay attention to where it unzips the files. The default is C:\program files\intel desktop board audio drivers.

2) Go into device manager and uninstall the non-functioning sound card, multimedia device, etc.

3) Restart. When it tries to auto install new devices it detects, hit cancel. Go to control panel -> Add Hardware. If it says you can only install one device at a time then you have to cancel the other devices it is trying to auto install.

4) When you run the new hardware wizard, select "install from a list or specific location" when prompted.

5) At the next screen choose "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install"

6) At the next screen choose "Sound Video or Game Controllers"

7) When presented with a list of sound devices, Click the "Have Disk" button. When the next prompt comes up, click "Browse."

8) Direct it to the folder where the Intel Desktop Board Audio Drivers were installed. Then to the W2K_XP folder within that folder. The path for me was c:\program files\intel desktop board audio drivers\SMAXWDM/W2K_XP. If you're running Win SE there is an SE folder one step up that I assume would work. Click "Open" button.

9) Select the file smwdmCH0.inf (should be selected by default.) Click Ok. Now the New Hardware wizard should show a bunch of SoundMax stuff to be installed. Click Next and let it finish installing. Restart and for me at least everything was back to normal.

The driver executable was Audio: ADI 1985 [AUD_ALL32_5.12.1.5240_PV2.EXE]

I downloaded it from http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...&OSFullName=Windows* XP Professional&lang=eng

I believe the onboard drivers for Soundmax are the same for all motherboards but I might well be wrong so check your Mobo manufacturer's site.

And can I just say, SoundMax. What a piece of junk. Good luck all.

I had just put up a new post regarding the soundmax issue and then reading through other posts, found your suggestion and tried it. To my delight, it worked!!!! Sometimes it is so frustrating! Thanks for the help!

Potentially Useful Info, ...but

Hi and thanks to all who have contributed insight into this really frustrating situation. I have an ASUS motherboard (P4P800SE) with an integrated soundcard for which SoundMax nominally supplies the driver. And it did - until last week when I upgraded my CPU and graphics card. Now even the "device" is not detected and as a result WinXP (Pro-SP2) never asks to install it. Furthermore, the ASUS install disk doesn't feature SoundMax as one of the possible drivers to be installed, and using the trick of downloading the driver from the Intel site and having it extracted to a folder to which I can then point the device installation process is equally ineffective.

SoundMax has been removed from the list of installed software, there is no sign of it in the Device Manager list - in any guise - and I'm about to take my OS back to sometime last week (or earlier - to where I was before upgrading HW) via a Restore. Any other ideas before I wade in? All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Dave the Rave

Can anyone please help me regarding this problem? I have been trying to fix it to no avail, very annoyed :(

I have a asus k8vse deluxe motherboard with onboard soundmax sound, i get the error "Driver not found! Reboot your system, and run this setup again" when trying to install soundmax.

I cannot try the 1-9 step solution as i don't seem to be able to remove anything in device manager as it is onboard sound, what should i remove so that when i restart, it prompts me to install the drivers?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last Ditch Effort

I finally got this thing sorted out. After all sorts of wild technical maneuvers involving loads of Registry cleaning, the display and deletion of "hidden" devices, and things I never wanted to know about, the only thing that worked was to follow the instructions in my handy-dandy ASUS P4P800 SE manual to "Clear RTC RAM" found in the section detailing "Jumpers". This action resets the CMOS - which means you will have to re-enter the time and date and any other settings you want, other than the defaults, on your next boot. After that, everything went swimmingly and I was able install SoundMax without a hitch. What a bunch of baloney! Hope this little bit of info helps.

Hi today I uninstalled soundmax because I didnt think I needed it. Now ive been reading all of these posts and still cant solve my problem. I have a Dell Dimension 4550 with Win XP. and I do not have a separate sound card.

I read one post where they said they downloaded the drivers from intel.com but I dont know what driver I need. Can anyone help?

When you get to the Dell website via the link I gave you, input your service tag details into the box provided. This will take you to the driver page for your particular model. If you don`t know your service tag details, there are links below the service tag box that show you how to find it.

Regards Howard :)

nm, i had to install active x control and switch from mozilla to Internet explorer. so what do I do after I download the driver. is it fixed?

After you`ve downloaded the driver you need to install it, by clicking on the setup.exe file or similar.

Once the installation is complete, you`ll probably need to restart your computer.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back