Auto disconnect IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptitterington

Now to those who spend their lives trouble shooting this must appear too easy to reply.... But Why Why WHY did it used to work and it does not now.

I only use a landline slow connection With XP HOme all up to date and IE6 I have set to disconnect at Idle after 10 mins but yet again after drinking beer, I have found that I have been connected for 17 hours @ .04p per min + .02p per min yep that is a lot.

As this is not the first time and I thought It was OK I really would like some help.

I also read an article but lost it before I could sort out the setting to ask for disconnect after shutting down the last IE window,

Is it just a con between the Telecoms and M$

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR arse arrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:dead: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

what... you wanna set your internet connection to automatically disconnect after a certain period of idle time???

right click network places, select properties.

open network and dial-up connection settings.

one icon represents your internet connection, right click it and select properties.

select the third tab, options.

bottom option is "idle time before disconnecting" set it to ten minutes again if that's what you want, and then press OK.

Phantasm my good man, That is my quandry - it is set to 10 mins yet never disconnects.
Palmboy may be onto something.

Just to be clear, I go to
Control panel - Internet Options-connections- settings-properties-options
I have no redial options or attempts if line is dropped.

As I said ARRRRRRetc

Are you leaving an IE window open which might contain a page with ads which change every so often? Pages that cycle ads generally contact a server to fetch new ads to display. Wouldn't this be considered "activity"? If the ads refresh every two minutes then you'd never get to the 10 minutes of idle time.

As for disconnecting when the last IE window closes...have you tried the setting for "Close connection when no longer needed"?

sorry, should have read that one more carefully.

you could as a temporary workaround have the connection show itself on the taskbar whilst connected (in the connection's properties, again) and right click and select disconnect when you are finished, thereby manually closing the connection when you are done. its good enough until you find a solution.

i checked microsoft knowledge base but there was next to nothing.

Thanks for the help,
I dont leave anything running, I have the two little screens in the taskbar that blink, they are quite small, usually I am busy, I hit the x on any window open then I quite often forget to then click on the two little tvs or the My connection to bring up the disconnect box.
I have it set to disconnect when nolonger needed but It just dosent work.

I am presuming that the later versions of IE and XP are probably geared to people with a permenant connection or the USA where calls are cheap?

Thanks anyway

Hello,

We used to have the same problem until some time ago when we switched to a permanent (broadband)connection. So now it doesn't matter any more.
We allways kept the connection on 10 minutes en usually it closed the connection but .... it happened a few times that the connection didn't close and the closing-option was unchecked without somebody tampering with it ....
Better check to make sure !!!

Stevewal

it's gotta be something like storm bringer says, that was my thought exactly too, there's gotta be something, some spyware or summat cunningly using your connection for some foul deed ;) and it's not letting your connection idle out at all.

:) it could be Mr.Gates emptying your bank accounts :D

You can try this if your still having the problem:

The idle time before hanging up is to do with redialling which I don't think is relevant.

You need to use autodisconnect so try this:

Start/Run/net config server /autodisconnect:30

Where "30" is change to how many minutes you want to stay connected before you want to hang up. You can also set this to
-1 if you don't want the computer to disconnect.

Hope this helps.

:) :grinthumb

The fact is this option doesn't work. I work for an ISP and every customer that has ever tried to use this feature had problems with it and blamed us for the disconnections. It has NEVER worked for anyone I've spoken to. Microsoft just needs to erase this feature from Windows because it is nothing but a pain in tech supports... butt.

It worked briefly after a clean install but I have now switched to broadband.

But it does not work on my dads machine or a friends,
Thanks

If it worked at all your very lucky. It's amazing how many customers of ISP's have problems with that feature.

If you have MSN Messenger Service running, that program is regularly connecting to the web for status updates and email checking, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back