autochck not found - skipping autocheck, to be continued...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, illl start from the beginning... on my main computer, i was cleanin up files n stuff today and ran adaware, spybot, and finally AVG anti virus... (my first time using AVG btw) it then found a couple of viruses, DL.exe and Gaelicum.A it seems like gaelicum attached itself to most if not all of the executables.. so after it completed the scan, it automatically "healed the files" after that.. it wanted to reboot, so i rebooted... this is where the poo hits the fan...

everything boots, finishes loading windows xp and then... a blue screen saying

"autochck not found - skipping autocheck"

... i then become concerned.. after that a "log into windows" window pops up.. i click ok... and it says, loading something (its to fast to read) and then says "saving settings", after which it returns to the "log into windows" window

it cycles thru this over and over... sooo.. i tried running "load last registery that worked" no go.. then i try safe mode... same thing happens... so then i tried booting from teh windows install CD... i loads a few things and says "Boot from CD:" it pauses a few seconds, the cd drive is spinning, and says "Boot from CD:" again... then it just continues to load windows like it did before (with the autochck not found error etc.)

so.. i cant think of anything else

i really hope ya can shed some light on this

thanks!

you need to hit a key on the keyboard to boot from cd. when it says that.

your message should say something like
press any key to boot from cd

All the exe files are gone including the ones that make windows work. Your computer is gone and will never be the same. AVG delted all thoes files for you. Send them a thank you note.

If you have a second hard drive reinstall windows on it and you can pull off your data. You can try a no install loading linux to burn off if you have two cd drives, I have only one. Or you can buy a hard drive case and get your data on another computer.

Any way you computer is now gone and will never be the same.

Dale

By the way I'm in the same boat and reall ticked at AVG. If you can't fix somting than say so. Just don't dlete all my files.

W32/Gaelicum.A is a brandnew VIRUS, and screws up your PC by attaching itself to every .exe file.
It is also known as W32.Licum
You can blame AVG if you want (unfairly I'd say), but most other antivirus program would probably have done the same.
The only person to blame for this infection is probably YOU yourself, because most likely you have not updated your Windows!
See http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.mspx

Symantec has some solution for it:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.licum.html

Bs. AVG should have gave me the option of removing my data before removing all the exe files. Now It real a pain restalling buring software and trying to find everything I need before I do a Wipe of the system.

Dale

This is why you're constantly told to back up your data now while everything is running fine. Do this regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back