Automatic opeing of yahoo? HELP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here is the thing. I signed on to the good old internet this morning before leaving work, and everything appears to be working smooth. I get home from work today, and when I try to log onto the internet, I automatically get redirected to yahoo mail.

My home page is set to redsox.com, I already checked that. I tried setting my home page to others as well. To no avail. I performed an entire system scan with norton, (definitions updated on the 15 of aug.) And I have no viruses. Even on this board when trying to register since I just did this today when i answered my verification email, I had to manually cut and paste the link because it would go and open up another yahoo mail window instead of the verification page for this site. help

Did you recently install yahoo messenger.... especially the new version?

If you did, did you select custom install or let it install everything.

If you let it install everything you got alot of crap in my opinion..

go to add/remove programs and uninstall everything yahoo! except for the messenger program itself and now try resetting your homepage.

Also are you using IE or firefox...

scan for spyware. there are many different scanners available.

I dont know of any spyware that opens yahoo pages?

someone has installed a trojan horse or adware on your system either directly through a toolbar, or through another program. Run spybot and adware. uninstall any messanger programs as well.

I ran both spyware doctor and adaware se and came up with nothing. Although I saw your first reply dragon and decided to go through the remove program thing anyway and noticed a yahoo toolbar that was on the list. Not sure where it came from unless the wifey did something that she is not telling me about. It seems to have worked thanks for the suggestion.

Now that I am looking at my browser, there was a toolbar there that I was not sure what it was from, and since performing removal is now gone. Everything seems to be working accordingly.

Sounds good..

What i expect has happened is when she installed yahoo messenger she selected the tick by set my home page to yahoo, and the other bloatware that yahoo tries to push off on people, i hate all the stupid little toolbars everyone is trying to get people to install.

Check back to make sure it's really gone.

I had this problem a while back on my computer. Instead of it going to Yahoo however it went to a fake google page. It took me a while to notice because google was normally my home page and it looked exactly the same. the only problem is it would give me bogus results when I searched and whenever I tried to go to a website I would end up at one of those lousy budget search engines that has a bunch of popups and I'm sure loaded a bunch of spyware on my computer.

I tried to remove it with spybot and adaware but wouldn't you know it, they would freeze up whenever they tried to remove that specific piece of spyware. I eventually had to go through a painstaking removal process that included removing registry keys.

My point is it would pay to go back and give your system another scan tomorrow as well.

If you would use Firefox, you would not have to cope with all those crap toolbars in the first place!
Only IE users get that crap, and they deserve it (!) for using IE against better knowledge!

What is firefox. I have never heard of this. I am not the most up to date person with this stuff, I just know that I used to use netscape and then they got all funky with it so I had to revert back to IE.

Firefox Browser

Feeeeg1,
Firefox is a great browser. IE too bloated. And attacked with spyware, hijackers. Firefox has great popup blocker built in. And options on cookies, etc IE doesn't have.

Also for Email, Thunderbird surpasses Outlook. I used to use Netscape myself. The new 6.0 is suppose to be good. Haven't taken a real look at it.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/central.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back