Autorun not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was already referred to this Microsoft support page in a previous thread:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330135&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

But I seem to have hit a snag. When opening regedit and checking my

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoDriveTypeAutoRun

file, as step 7 suggests, the file is available only in binary, not hexadecimal. (It's labeled as REG_BINARY.) So, I can't edit in a hexadecimal value of 91, as the Microsoft page suggests. The display, when I right-click to modify it, is

0000 FF 00 00 00 y...

I'm not sure where to go from here. Can I somehow this existing NoDriveTypeAutoRun file, or copy a "good" one with a hex value of 91 from my Windows install CD? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty sure this screwed-up reg file is the problem.

That is not what he asked RBS. Autoplay ( the feature that makes Audio CDs play automatically once inserted for example ) is disbaled & he's tryig to re-enable it. No booting involved.

Isn't it possible to re-activate Autoplay by clicking on your CD-Rom's properties ( from the device manager ) ?

Open Group Policy (gpedit.msc on the Start/Run) and navigate to Computer Configuration\administrative templates\system.
Open the Disable Autoplay Policy, select Enabled and select CD-Rom drives.

The NoDriveAutoRun value is a bitmap in which each bit represents a drive letter, starting with A as the least significant bit (outermost right). Setting a bit to 1 disables Autoplay for the associated drive letter. E.G. if you want to disable autoplay on drives H and I, you set the value to hex 180, which is calculated as follows:
LKJI-HGFE-DCBA (these are the drive-letters (backwards))
0001-1000-0000 = 180 hex.

Complicated but true.

To activate autoplay for all, make all the bits 0 (00 00 00 etc.)

To enter the value 91 as per Microsoft, in Regedit that value now shows (in your PC at least):
0000 FF 00 00 etc.

When you doubleclick on NoDriveAutoRun the cursor will blink between 0000 and FF. Carefully press just ONCE on the Delete-key on your keyboard. The FF will disappear. Now just type in 91 where the cursor is.
Your line will now look like:
0000 91 00 00 etc.
Click on OK and that is it.

Originally posted by realblackstuff
To enter the value 91 as per Microsoft, in Regedit that value now shows (in your PC at least):
0000 FF 00 00 etc.

When you doubleclick on NoDriveAutoRun the cursor will blink between 0000 and FF. Carefully press just ONCE on the Delete-key on your keyboard. The FF will disappear. Now just type in 91 where the cursor is.
Your line will now look like:
0000 91 00 00 etc.
Click on OK and that is it.

This worked like a charm. A frosty pint to you and yours, good sir, I am in your debt. Also, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back