'Avengers: Infinity War' shatters domestic record for Sunday box office performance

Polycount

Staff

Disney may have run into a few issues on the video game front with the controversial launch of Star Wars: Battlefront II in November but their movie business has likely exceeded their expectations lately.

Since the launch of Avengers: Infinity War on Friday, Disney's Marvel Studios has officially broken the all-time record for the largest weekend movie debut domestically, hitting over $250 million in US box office revenue.

Particularly astounding was the movie's Sunday box office performance - Infinity War reportedly raked in a whopping $69.2 million, breaking yet another domestic record.

According to Business Insider, the previous record holder was Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which reached an impressive $60.5 million in box office revenue on a Sunday.

In all, Infinity War has earned $640.9 million globally. At this rate, the film is on track to reach or even exceed The Force Awakens' global box office earnings to date, which sit at roughly $2 billion as of writing.

Given Disney's massive marketing push with Infinity War, the movie's box office success might not come as much of a surprise.

Indeed, the entertainment giant has released advertisements for the film across the internet and in theaters, likely grabbing the attention of thousands of potential viewers.

Of course, the movie's many positive early reviews have likely also contributed to its positive performance so far. The film has earned an average critic score of 9.0 out of 10 on IMDB and a score of 84% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Permalink to story.

For me it was the first movie in the last 5 years that I went to watch twice in a cinema. The one before was Avatar. Great movie, but only if you are into the whole story, and watched all the previous Marvel Universe movies, which I have. Otherwise, many jokes and funny scenes may be lost on you.

If it does eclipse Star Wars maybe Disney will tone down the next star wars advertising, they went berserk on the star wars ads for the last 2. Infinity war didn't seem to get anymore advertising push then a normal blockbuster, star wars got around double.

For me it was the first movie in the last 5 years that I went to watch twice in a cinema. The one before was Avatar. Great movie, but only if you are into the whole story, and watched all the previous Marvel Universe movies, which I have.

Good to know. I was holding off on watching it as I assumed it would be "just another superhero movie."

What, in particular, did you like about it? Humor? Action? Something else?

My 3 cents about this movie it kept me watching it without falling asleep so that could be a good thing right!

It was action packed, full of drama to keep you on the edge of your seat, and they managed to use most characters to the max of their potential which usually doesn't happen with these "all your characters together" style movies. Ontop of all of that, the bad guy is powerful without being unstoppable and you almost feel for him at times. This movie was all around well made and surprised me in so many aspects.

It was action packed, full of drama to keep you on the edge of your seat, and they managed to use most characters to the max of their potential which usually doesn't happen with these "all your characters together" style movies. Ontop of all of that, the bad guy is powerful without being unstoppable and you almost feel for him at times. This movie was all around well made and surprised me in so many aspects.
Thanks for giving your thoughts. I'll definitely give it a shot!

The movie is the true culmination of the series, fueled by non-stop action and plenty of good jokes. The ending however is altogether a different thing, left me in awe, totally unexpected.

That's the best Marvel movie for me. Loved it from beginning to end, I can't wait to go watch it again. The only movie I watched more than once in the theater was The Dark Knight back in 2008.

It was so fun to watch so many great characters in the same movie! Well done Marvel!

As much as I like these movies, we'll be waiting until it comes to Redbox to see it. The theater experience is just not worth it for my wife and I.

Black Panther will soon be at Redbox, and we'll see it then.

I'd like to see the viewership broken down by age demographics. I grew up reading these comic books, but am burned out by the non-stop, super hero CGI-saturated movies that seem to come out once a week. I think the joke one-liners are getting in the way too. There was little to none of that in the original comics. Being a super hero was serious business!

I guess my point being is that I'm willing to bet the primary viewership is in the teens to early 30's range. Those of us older than that and original comic book purists aren't that interested. At least not enough that we can wait for the rental to come out.

Last edited:
I saw it Sunday. The last movie I left from the theater with a similar feeling was Mad Max Fury Road; both movies were experiences, truly worthy of not just watching on the big screen but being a better experience than watching it at home.

As to the story, humor, action - if you liked the preceding 18 films this is an all you can eat buffet MCU smorgasbord. There are no introductions of characters as you're expected to be keeping up with what's gone on in the last few chapters. Pretty much the entirety of phase 3 is required viewing if you want to be current with the story and motivation of the characters.

If you've invested the time in those films Infinity Wars is a worthy payout, though it's important to remember when you're leaving the theater that there are 3 more movies in the current phase. I'll be watching it again in large format or 3D once I can get another baby sitter for the kids (also leave the young kids at home as this movie earns a PG13 IMHO).

Haven't seen the movie yet. Was chatting away this weekend with my friend, who's a mother of 3. She said she took the kids to see the movie. All I asked was if they liked it.

She said they left sad because the (spolier) (spolier) (spolier).

This was me;
midoriya.jpg

For me it was the first movie in the last 5 years that I went to watch twice in a cinema. The one before was Avatar. Great movie, but only if you are into the whole story, and watched all the previous Marvel Universe movies, which I have. Otherwise, many jokes and funny scenes may be lost on you.

This is great to hear, everyone I have talked has said much the same but they are true Marvel lovers regardless of the quality of the movie.

I haven't seen Black Panther yet, is it a must before watching this one?

It's a good film, but I didn't find it as blow-my-mind spectacular as a lot of others seem to have found it to be. It doesn't let up, and the only thing stopping it from being a bit of a depress-fest is the humour.

I'd definitely agree with those in the comments who've already said it - this is for the fans. If you've seen all the previous Marvel movies and loved them, it's great. If not, either do your homework or don't bother IMHO.

I think that Black Panther is the weakest of the entire series, and with the score of 7.7 on imdb it is overrated. I would prefer not to see any black panther in the Marvel Universe at all, it's just too fictional and unrealistic, like some African fairy-tale. But this is subjective.

Dollar amounts don't impress me at all. With the skyrocketing ticket prices, plus inflation, plus the increase in population, I just roll my eyes. They use these numbers to play you on advertising ("so many people like it, you should too"?). Overall, there is a much smaller percentage of the population that go than before.

Dollar amounts don't impress me at all. With the skyrocketing ticket prices, plus inflation, plus the increase in population, I just roll my eyes. They use these numbers to play you on advertising ("so many people like it, you should too"?). Overall, there is a much smaller percentage of the population that go than before.
IMO, it would be interesting to see "adjusted for inflation" figures.

And movies like Gone with the Wind have been released dozens of times over the past 75+ years. The adjusted for inflation figure can't begin to account for revenue generated by home ownership and how viewing has changed since 1939.

This is great to hear, everyone I have talked has said much the same but they are true Marvel lovers regardless of the quality of the movie.

It is an absolute MUST. In fact, you must see all 18 previous movies, but Black Panther must be seen b4 this movie.

I want to read the comments so bad...but I can't because I just know some douchecanoe will spill all the beans, just like losers on social media do. :)

Back