AVG antivirus - how does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm new to the site and new to computers (sort of).

Here's my (dumb) question for anyone who cares to answer: I've installed the free AVG antivirus program and it seems to work, but I'm not sure. For example, here's the result of the last test:

Scanned: 107885
Infected: 632
Cleaned: 0
Moved to Vault: 0
Deleted: 0
Errors: 0

It seems like it's telling me the computer is infected and absolutely nothing was done about it. The Test Result window doesn't seem to give me an option to request an action of any kind.

Am I just paranoid or is my computer just really sick?

Part 2: AVG found a Trojan Horse last week and asked me if I wanted to put it in the vault. I said yes and was then warned that this meant removing the system file and that then the whole OS might start malfunctioning and I'd have to re-intall it. Puttint it in the vault no longer seemed like such a great idea. I left it as is out of fear that the cure would be worse than the disease.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Something doesn`t look right there.

Normally if AVG asks you to put something into the virus vault, you should let it.

Go HERE and follow the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware(formerly Ewido) logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of polmarcus only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back