AVG free vs. AVG paid one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred G

Would someone please tell me the difference between these 2? right now i've got the free version, is the commercial one better in any way?

The main difference is that the free one will expire in January. You can upgrade to the paid version at a rate of 2 years for $35.
Other than that, the paid version has more features and more aspects are automated, but the screening and so on is the same.

I think that if you look real close on the popup that says that AVG Free Trial version 7.1 is going to expire in Jaunuary, you will see a link that will allow you to download AVG Free 7.5. I had to look close, but found it and am using it on my home computer. You can also google it and get there on the GRISOFT website

AVG vs AVG Free

There are no significant differences. There are a few things that load and scan automatically in the paid version, that the free one does not have.

Unfortunately, the free one will probably no longer be available after some time in January. They got big write-ups in the Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, and New York Times. Now they have 30 million free users in US and Europe so they cannot afford it, and they don't need to do it free now.

It remains excellent software. The cost is $35 for two years, and it beats the pants off Symantec, McAfee, Trend Micro, in my opinion.

So unless they change their mind, the big difference is that Free won't be free anymore. Avast is the last of the free ones.

raybay said:
The main difference is that the free one will expire in January

Let`s make this clear.

Grisoft is discontinuing support for the old version of AVG free v7.1 from January.

They have released a new free version of AVG free v7.5. I already have this version on my computer, in fact I`ve had it for several weeks.

You need to go HERE and download and install the latest version. AVG free7.5 will remain free for home users.

To recap: Grisoft are not discontinuing the free AVG programme, but merely switching support to their new version.

Regards Howard :)

But ask them. I have 7.5 as well. they have told me that because of their 30 million base, they plan to discontinue AVG Free by the end of January. If you have not received this notice, you probably will.

They have announced that they are re-thinking this policy, but they will definitely tighten up the rules on who gets the free account... tying free account to address and phone number...

Even telling 30 million users that their free service is being discontinued takes a long time.

Taken from HERE.

GRISOFT is announcing a new version of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. This new 7.5 version with improved performance and full compatibility with the latest Windows Vista version is available. Users that are using AVG Free 7.1 will be provided with a specific dialog, within the next few weeks, with the opportunity to choose the right option fulfilling their needs. AVG Free 7.1 version will be discontinued on 15th of Jan 2007.

I can see nothing in the above quote to suggest a blanket withdrawal of the free AVG Antivirus programme. They`ve even called it AVG free 7.5. I`ve looked on the Grisoft site and can find no mention of the AVG free 7.5 being withdrawn or that it`s going to have to be paid for.

Regards Howard :)

Edit: Check this post on the AVG forums.

Yeah, so apparently it's just v7.1 that is being withdrawn. But 7.5 is being offered now. Thx for clearing that up, guys.
cheers

Very informative discussion. Glad i got AVG 7.5 when i did. It, along with updates is available on their site, didnt have to look very hard to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back