AVG or not AVG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

As some members may know, AVG are terminating their free, d/l version at the end of this month, can I ask for advice as to whether I should take this opportunity to change my anti-virus programme.
I know that I shall get several opinions as to which I should go for, I am sticking to the free versions, I know they have their limitations, but they have suited me up to now.
Are there big differences between them, have the all got quarantines/vaults, or the equivalents?
Any advice will be appreciated, O wise ones!

Maurice
yu.gif

Hi Maurice. As far as I can tell, AVG is only discontinuing there version 6. You need to download the new version 7. I could be mistaken, if you know otherwise, but after reading this, it looks to me like they are just going to the new version. If so, you can stay with AVG.

Here's a quote from that page.

"Please also be advised, that as of December 31st, 2004, database updates and support for older versions of AVG Free Edition will no longer be available. If you are currently using an older version of AVG Free Edition, we encourage you to download the new version of AVG Free Edition by the end of 2004. GRISOFT will notify AVG Free Edition users about the availability of the new AVG Free Edition via the regular update process."

The new version is quite sweet.
There are a few glitches i've run into however after 20 + installs.
1) Un-install ver.6 before installing the new version.
2) Empty temp folders, cache etc. before install.
3) If running XP Pro disable Windows firewall before install. (remember to re-enable it after re-boot.)

Other than that it is a fine improvement over an already good AV prog...

patio. :cool:

Thanks all!

Geek 19, thanks for replying, seems you are all for AVG.

patio, thanks for the advice, I didn't do all that when I first d/loaded it though, & it worked OK for nearly two years.

Old fella, [that's you, O.F.,!] please note patio's comments & my observations on them, obviously I will have to uninstall version 6 first,.... your comments would be appreciated, yes I've seen the page you mention, it comes up each time I run AVG.

Maurice

XP problems with version 7

patio said:
The new version is quite sweet.
There are a few glitches i've run into however after 20 + installs.
1) Un-install ver.6 before installing the new version.
2) Empty temp folders, cache etc. before install.
3) If running XP Pro disable Windows firewall before install. (remember to re-enable it after re-boot.)

Other than that it is a fine improvement over an already good AV prog...

patio. :cool:

Sorry, I have a different view. I'm pretty sure I took the precautions you mentioned before installing version 7, and MOST important, I took a restore point first. After install I found that my video had been corrupted such that it no longer had the correct driver, only a sort of default VGA and the whole PC slowed down to a crawl. This is on an ASUstek board, Athlon 64 cpu, where the on-board video is S3 unichrome II. Windows XP SP2 installed.

I then rolled back to the restore point, all back to normal. Repeated the install of version 7 again, with exactly the same problem. On another older PC running Win98 there were somewhat similar problems where the screen refresh slowed down. So I have gone back to the previous version 6.

So my advice would be - try it and see, but expect problems. Wait for the first major revision.

Other than that, I thing AVG is a fine product. Have used it for over a year, and the only problems have been some time ago the site often did not respond to an update of virus signature request.

Referring to ehall's reply to patio, this seems to be getting deeper & deeper, personally his views are confusing me further on the matter, if that's possible.

oldfarte, hope I don't disturb your Sunday too much, but can you come up with some good old plain advice as usual, then you can go back to that bottle of Bourbon,......how did I know? I have my spies!
Just had a thought, would it be simpler to let version 6 run out, then go to their site & d/l version 7?

Maurice

Hi again Maurice. Rum and Coke for me, thank you, but as it's early Sunday morning here, I'll wait a while on that. But you were close on the drink.

I tried out the new version the day it was released, granted only for a short period of time, a couple of days, before going back to McAfee, (I paid for it). I didn't have any problems at all with it, as far as installation and function. But you don't know how good a virus scanner works, until you need it and it stops somthing. You would have to think it is just as good and hopefully better than the old version though.

I would not stay with the older version, as they will not issue any more updates for it. To get that you have to go the new version. That alone, means, you HAVE to go the new version, in order to get the latest virus scan updates, if you want to stay with AVG.

Thanks, old friend, yeah, forgot about the time difference!, rum & coke, an old favourite, been around a loooong time, I use to drink spirits when I was around 17-18, whisky mac's usually, mainly to give me confidence at the local hop,....local hop! wow!, it was when I lived in Portsmouth, Hampshire, quite a large venue, the "Savoy", when Teddy Boy's were "in", even I had a D.A., now I haven't enough hair!
It was when British big bands could only play in the U.S., if they exchanged with a band over there, we exchanged Ted Heath with a biggy, can't remember the name, but Gene [high on drugs] Krupa was the drummer,.....those were the days.

Maurice
bigdance2.gif
bigdance2.gif

Yeah, sorry old friend, got a bit carried away, didn't I?,......remeniscing, doing a lot of that, these days, & I can't talk to myself, so I end up boring you half to death, talking about things that are probably of no interest to you.
I thought I might take the opportunity to try a different d/l anti-virus, a while back I had the guys rushing to tell me of their choices, one was "Anti -Vir" as I recall, & there where several others.

Maurice

This settles it AVG7 it is!brilliant,....see below, just going to change my ISP due to Tiscali link preventing out-going mai, as reported on another thread, then it's up up & away, I hope]......any comments guys??

Maurice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Viruses found in the attached files.
The file document_mcole1.txt.pif: Virus identified I-Worm/Netsky.Q. The attachment was moved to the virus vault.

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.7 - Release Date: 10/02/2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back