AVG removed explorer.exe to vault.Laptop loads just desktop background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my friend's laptop was having some virus problems. He had XP service pack 2 as OS and some antivirus programs but they were without new updates so they all could recognise, there is a problem but none of them could solve it.
So i advised him to install AVG and run a complete computer scan hoping that it would solve all his problems. It appearently did but created another major one. The virus on his machine was affecting all exe files, so AVG moved all his exe files to vault.
After the scan, taskbar on the bottom has disappeared, then desktop icons also disappeared. Now only blank desktop background his what is available.
I tried going into safe mode and trying to salvage something there also the same problem.
I am really sorry that i cannot provide more information that this as i don't have any and don't hope to get more as my friend is not the computer savy.

Please suggest something.

Boot from the windows cd and get it to attempt a repair. If that wont fix the problem then he may have to reformat.

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. Sorry i couldn't reply earlier. I am still trying to get hold of the CD to try your suggestion. I will let u know further updates as and when they happen. Thanks again.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click file/new Task run. Type explorer.exe into the dialogue box and click ok.

See if that helps at all.

Regards Howard :)

Hi Howard,
I will try that but I don't think that will help since explorer.exe is not there in its orginal folder C:\windows. It has been moved by AVG to AVG vault where the files are not readable in their original format from command prompt.
Thnks and Regards,
Prashant.

Normally, there`s two copies of explorer.exe.

One in C:\windows\explorer.exe and one in C:\windows\system32\dllcache\explorer.exe

If you copy and paste C:\windows\system32\dllcache\explorer.exe into the task manager Task run box and click ok. You may find it works. If it does, you`ll then need to do the following.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Go to C:\windows\system32\dllcache\explorer.exe and right click on explorer.exe, choose copy.

Now go to C:\windows and paste it into there.

Then, rehide your protected OS files.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back