Back on line

Maurice

Hi guys,
Don't know if you were dreadiing me returning????, remembering all my previous problems.
Anyway, my laptop has gone, & I now have a "grown-up" PC, a desktop, [see my profile for specs]
When I had it built, I said I mainly just wanted to surf, & send/receive e-mails, hence the modest rig. One thing I did ask for is rewrite, didn't have it on the laptop, & am told that no-one in their right mind has a PC without it, backing-up files etc., no doubt I'll be asking TS how I go about that, [AREN'T you lucky!!]

I am about to start a new thread in "OS & Other Software" regarding a trojan, [yes, it's started, one day on the new rig, & blooee!, plus some simple operating queries.

It's GREAT to be back!
Maurice.

I'm home again, & the gang are rallying round....I'll say it again, a superb site, nothing else comes anywhere near!

Maurice.

Hey Maurice,

Welcome back! Just make sure you follow these folks' advice from the beginning so you don't end up where you were before.

Jeff

You ARE joking, jshields??, have you looked at all the advice I was given over the 3 to4 months crisis period?
I must say that it's nice to hve varied opinions, & in the end, I sorted the weeds from the chaff, as they say, & got a lot of useful comments.
It's all about trusting people, & how do you go about that?, for instance I recently had a new rig built by a local firm of very good repute, & what did I get? the modem was not properly fitted into the case, the misalignment meant ththat the phone lead could not be connected properly, so the set-up nearly had to be aborted.
Luckily I didn't do the set-up myself. & the techie I hired to come & do it for me was very experienced, he got into the case, removed & refitted the modem which put that matter right.
Apparantly it was more or less jammed in, not engaging with the groove allotted for it.
This is a guy, in his forties, twenty years experience, three shop/workshops in England, & he STILL makes a dogs-dinner of it, do I attract all the detritus of the computer trade, or am I just unlucky................come on, realblackstuff, surely tou have suitable comments? [remember, no expletives!!]

Maurice.

Hehe....if nothing else Maurice, we can always get a rousing tale of the ineptitude of man from you....unfortunately, it's always at your expense. ;)

Welcome back guy.....good to have you here. :grinthumb

Good to have you back Maurice. To be honest I hadn't noticed your departure, but I don't notice near as much around here now since I no longer have broadband.

Almost always a good thing when a member returns though.
icon14.gif

Nice Smiley there Sngx. [size=1]Moderators note: I fixed the smiley, heh. (it was originally :thumbsup , which obviously didn't work. -SNGX1275[/size]

WB Maurice.. even if you're just learning, sometimes it helps the rest of us to learn new tricks by watching other's questions..

Edit: Thanks Sngx.

Thanks Masque, I have never had broadband, not available in my district. It's not like the States, where it is pretty universal, but we're getting there [slowly]
Can I ask why you don't have b/band now?, you don't have to say, I was just wondering. My narrowband costs only £12.99 [around $16 ?] a month, & it's virtually 24/7.

Maurice

Originally posted by Maurice
Thanks Masque, I have never had broadband, not available in my district. It's not like the States, where it is pretty universal, but we're getting there [slowly]
Can I ask why you don't have b/band now?, you don't have to say, I was just wondering. My narrowband costs only £12.99 [around $16 ?] a month, & it's virtually 24/7.

Maurice

I'm assuming you were referring to SNGX1275 with this question as he made the statement.:)

Sorry, Masque, yes, you're correct,..........it's called "getting old", either that, or I was in a rush.

Well where I'm living at now is 6 miles from the nearest town, which is about 2,000 people. Closest town with over 30,000 is over an hour's drive away.

Broadband isn't an option for me, nothing can go 6 miles outside of town that I can afford.

You're in the same boat as me then, I'm 5 miles from my nearest town of Newport,, about 8000 people, would you believe it though, in my village there is a broadband transmitter 200 yards from my bungalow, but it is expensive at £29.99 a month, & other alternatives are not much better, British Telecom being the next best at around £25. To be honest, I could afford it, but I really don't need it, being long retired, [13 years] I don't need to hurry, the days fly by quickly enough thank you!

Young & Wild, good on ya, cobber! [sorry about that!]
All these welcome back messages are heartwarming to an old guy with literally no relalatives left, not complaining, just stating facts.
Have you looked at the new rig on my profile?, very modest, when I had it built, I specified that I wanted a basic job, as I only wanted to surf, & send emails, one of the best things about it is the "Relisys" TFT monitor [15"], Ive asked the TS guys if they have heard of this make, as there was no booklet with it, I've downloaded a picture of it from a website, but no info, I'd like to know the function of the buttons, also when the PC is shut down, it keeps displaying; "Attention, no signal", is this common with all TFT's, & can turn off this particular display?, all help appreciated!

Maurice.

Hi Maurice,
a welcome back here from me as well.
Since you asked me for it, the misaligned modem is probably an oversight (but sloppy nevertheless, did he test it in his shop?), but may also have happened during transport from his shop to your home.
Having a desktop, now is the time to get your philips screwdriver out, open the PC and have a look inside to see what we are talking about.
You could have re-aligned/re-positioned that modem yourself.

As to the message on your Relisys-screen, switch the thing off when you are finished computing.
When you get onto your PC next time, always switch the monitor on before the PC.

PS: I hardly, if ever, look into this forum, hence the delayed reply.

Great stuff, rbs, just knew I get some good relevant responses to my queries when you got in on the act!
My problem, [among many, I know, I know] is that I still have a laptop mentality, having had one for two years, & never having a desktop before, hence my query about the monitor, I shall do as you say, & switch it off between computing.
As for the modem, it was more like sloppy work, when my techie [the good one, not the previous prat] got into the case, & took the modem out, it had plier marks on the corner where it fits into the retaining groove, & my chap had to bend it into shape before it would fit correctly, + his assistant carried it out to my car, a matter of 10 yards, where it wwas safely jammed on the floor, behind the front seat, then at home, 5 miles away, I was very careful removing it, & putting it in a ground floor room. so there was no way the modem could have shifted. It was jammed in the case very tightly, he had to use some strength to remove it.
Me re-align it???, you must be joking, I am very practical in all but electronics,....electrics, yes, I have put many a power-point in, etc., etc., the whole setting up thing I leave to the professionals, as it was, he had to get onto a 24 hour help-line, as the ISP dial-up phone number didn't work, they had changed it without informing me!

Thanks again, for getting back to me on this, appreciate it, if you ever visit the Isle of Wight again, you MUST look me up, you'd be very welcome, phone me first, on xxxxx xxxxxx, or leave a message on TS.

Maurice

- Phone number edited for privacy concerns ;-)
Didou

Back