Backup advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephisto_007

I am wondering whether we can actually backup programs/softwares that has been updated eg: Games Updated, Windows Updated etc, while window needed to do a fresh installing... I am asking this question because I hate the fact that I have to install those programs and waiting for their updated again. So is there a clever software that could do this job? thankx

I'm afraid not Mephisto, but to save yourself the trouble in future, you can re-install, and image your disk straight afterwards with something such as Acronis.

Of course, if you have any Steam games, the Steam software can back those up quite easily to save you having to download again.

I keep a complete image (Acronis) of my original Clean install with all important programs included, Anti virus, Networking ,Nero etc.
Then i do another full image that I update from time to time.(Although I have never had to do this) Since you can restore any individual groups of files from True Image , perhaps you can restore an individual program.
At any rate you could use your most recent Backup to reimage the whole drive and therefore regain the program in an updated condition ( at least dated to the recent back up)
If you re-image after updating important programs you can always quickly recover.

use another drive/partition

I backup by having another drive, with a partition on it in which the important directories of my main drive are all duplicated, and for this purpose, I use Microsoft's SyncToy software. Although this has it's little idiosyncracies, it is extremely fast, and you can specify many individual directories to backup, and can them perform the backup (a) whenever you like (b) all in one click (c) or individually as required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back