Bad Checksum - Unknown Processor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillDog

I posted earlier saying that i was fixing my parents computer and when i booted it up nothing would come on the screen...well it turns out it was the power supply. But now i got a new problem, when i boot up their computer it says Bad Checksum ***Unknown Processor***. So yay! i have the worst luck in the world. Im guessing all i have to do is update the BIOS, only problem is i dont have a floppy drive to download onto and put in their computer dont suppose a flash drive would work would it?

No a flash drive won't be bootable and you have to be able to boot up the system. It is possible to make a bootable CD and put the bios update file and the bios update program on this CD, and then boot your system from this CD

Only problem with that is.....i cant get in the CMOS to change the boot settings. It wont even let me get that far. I have the updated BIOS downloaded and onto a floppy disk and CD but it wont boot up. When I boot it up, it gives shows I can hit F8 to go BBS POPUP and shows how much memory I have and it detects the hard drive and cdrom drive but not the floppy drive then it goes straight to that error screen. I have both the floppy and CD in, now what do i do?

This may be memory related. If you have 2 sticks swap their positions. If you have only 1, replace it with another stick and try booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back