Bad Sectors: Recoverable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddy05

My hard disk recently developed bad sectors. My power supply unit failed and the whole system was powered down. I had it replaced. A few days later, I CHKDSK-ed my disk and found out that my hard disk developed bad sectors!

Is it possible that it is caused by an incomplete file operation and recoverable after a format? Is it possible that the power supply unit incident cause the bad sectors?

Both senarios could have caused the bad sectors. If you low level format the disk using fdisk it should cure all the bad sectors but you will lose all the data on it. If you need any help on using fdisk, give me a shout.

Hope that helps. Rik.

Thank you rik and realblackstuff.

Bad sectors.. Are they problems with the physical disk itself or are they just errors in the file system? If they are actually errors in the actual disk how can software like the one in www.dposoft.com "fix" it?

They can be either, but in my experience (and i have lots when it comes to hard drives, i havent had a new one in 8 years) its usually write errors. So as i said before, if you low level format the drive it will un-label the bad sectors. Once its formatted and ready for use, scandisk it again, if thay are damage to the read surface then it will re-label them as bad, if it doesnt, you have regained the lost disk space.

With low-level format you lose everything!
HDD-Regen 'revives' bad sectors in a non-destructive way and leaves your data intact!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back