bandwidth montoring with linksys WAG354G

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI i want to be able to monitor all bandwidth from my kids xbox 360 and pcs which go throught me linksys WAG354G.

I seen that it has the snmp protocol and was wondering what is the best way to monitor the usage as i'm capped @ 100gig at the moment.

plz help

matrixscaz said:
HI i want to be able to monitor all bandwidth from my kids xbox 360 and pcs which go throught me linksys WAG354G.

I seen that it has the snmp protocol and was wondering what is the best way to monitor the usage as i'm capped @ 100gig at the moment.
Usage can be different than Bandwidth.
Usage: What locations did system(A) visit and what was downloaded?
vs
Bandwidth: How much of my network was or is being consumed by each system
on may LAN?

You may like to visit:
Ping-Probe

Bandwidth Daemon

Netlimiter Software

Bandwidth Vista

Could use "Show Traffic" monitors network traffic on the chosen network interface and displays it continuously. It could be used for locating suspicious network traffic or to evaluate current utilization of the network interface.

Run on individual PCs in your home network and you could do this remotely. So you're in your home office or den and then you want to see what's going on other systems..

Bandwidth Monitor NG is a small and console-based live network and disk-io bandwidth monitor for Linux, BSD, Solaris, Mac OS X and others. features: output of KB/s, Kb/s, packets, errors, average, max and total sum; in curses, plain console, CSV or HTML

Lots of freeware or opensource programs out there for you to choose from..

CAUTION: using routers with SNMP support

If you have a router with this feature, NEVER allow WAN side access to SNMP.

Also, at least change the Community String, which acts as a password.
(see the link)

Allowing access to SNMP from the Internet is to allow your router to be taken
over (ie controlled) by someone else!

SNMP is a whole discipline unto itself, which makes for an interesting read

Thanks lads

Thank you for the swift responce i i found a program called PRTG Traffic Grapher which uses snmp protocol and seem too work well. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back