Battery drains in 1hr; No low battery warning before hibernate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I have a 3yr old Toshiba Satellite laptop that I use every day, on avg. 8 hrs per day for school. The battery used to last about 2.5 hours without needing charging. In the past couple weeks, it only seems to last about an hour before needing to be charged.

Even more troublesome is its action when the charge is gone. I have set the power settings to pop up a notification message at 22% battery level and take no action, then at 10% battery level, pop up another message THEN go in to hibernate. However, last week it would give me only about 20 seconds' notice of a critical battery level, then it would hibernate. It wouldn't give me any notice before the critical level.

Now, it has taken to just hibernating, with no warning notice whatsoever. I could keep it plugged in all the time, but my concern is there's something more at issue that will get worse over time. I don't need any crashes at finals time.

Any suggestions? Could the battery need replacing? Thanks.

Li Ions really start to lose capacity at 2 years. By 3 years, they can easily be at 50% of their original capacity.

I'd go for a new battery.

"Exercising" batteries (or deep discharge) only applies to NiMh or NiCd.
For LiIon this has no effect whatsoever!

Guess a new battery is your best option (cheap on eBay).

Thanks for the advice

I agree with each of you - I'll need to get a new battery. Seems the most logical source of my problem. I'll check out ebay as suggested.

If your going to buy a battery on ebay make sure it is new not 3 or so years old just like ours and holds the same ammount of charge also make sure it is a factory battery becuase some genric batteries will damage the laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back