Battlefield 2 game crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Battlefield 2 (BF2) suddenly (and randomly) drops me from the game back to the desktop without an error message.

I have a brand new computer: AMD 3000+, ATIX600PRO/256mb, 939 socket board, onboard audio, 1gb ram, logitec wireless mouse and KB.

It is running on WinXP SP2 with all the 'recommended updates'. The latest drivers & BIOS were installed after the OS install. The only other software running is Trend Micro PCCillin and device related software ( printer & USB hub)

What I have tried:
1. installing BF2 without any patches. It crashed randonly, single mode, or multiplayer
2. installed patch 1.12. same result.
3. reduced the video quality from High to medium. Same results.
4. reduced audio to lowest setting, essentially no sound for VOIP, sound and music. Same results.

I have scanned a few ATI knowledge bases, but nothing helped. A few of my friends have had the same issue from time to time, but not as frequent as mine. coincidentially, one time 4 of us were in a game and two of us suddenly got dropped from the game in the same fashion and at the exact same time, but the other two remained. None of them have the same hardware as mine, or each other, so I would have to believe it's the game.

friendly advise appreciated. HELP

Drop to desktop with no error is usually symtomatic of one (or more) of three things:
1) Heat. Northbridge chip, cpu, memory, videocard are getting too hot.
2) Flakey or too aggressively timed memory/BIOS settings.
3) Poor or bad power supply and/or other component of hardware.

Temperature is pretty easy to rule out by looking for various mainboard/gpu monitoring tools. What mainboard do you have? Asus' have Asus Probe for monitoring voltage rails, temp and fan rpms. I'm not positive, but if the X600 has a GPU Temp sensor, ATI Tray Tools should be able to get a GPU/ENV temp reading there.

Memory timings? Sometimes for a test it's good to see what memory settings/adjustments your mainboard has. Undertiming your memory (such as manually upp'ing the CAS and other latencies) for a run in hopes a stability will shake out too aggressively timed memories. I'd also say grab a blank floppy and make a bootable memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/memt32.zip) disk and let that run overnight. If it can get through a couple passes without any errors, this will give confidence there isn't simply a flakey memory chip involved.

I know you mentioned you flashed the BIOS, but how long ago exactly was that? If it's been a bit, you should check to make sure you have the latest and re-flash as needed. It would also be helpful to know what chipset your motherboard has as NForce3/4 mainboards should also use the newer NForce chipset drivers found on guru3d.com versus the crusty, old and near obsolete ones found on NVidia's website. VIA- new hyperion's from viaarena.com as well.

Good luck and see you on the battlefield!

I had the same problem the other day after playing with the bios settings for my asus board. I changed the memory timings for a performance boost a set the pc to turbo mode. Sure enough, got kicked back to the desktop. This had never happened in the 120 hours of gameplay prior.

Put the setting back to where they were previously and the problem dissapeared

Hope this is some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back