Beeeep, beep beep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got new asus AM2 mobo and I'm getting beeps on start. 1 long beep and two short. Somewhere I found it is related to video card. I'm not sure if that's true, but I know videocard is functional and inserted correctly.
The mobo has it's own video, so I tried using only that, same thing. It just doesn't seem to make sense.

One long two short looks like a video issue, as you said. You say it is also happening when you remove the graphics card and try to boot up with the onboard graphics?

Here's what I'd do:

Remove the motherboard from the case and set it on a box beside your case. Next, reset cmos (check your manual to find the cmos jumper pins).

Remove everything from the motherboard except:
  1. cpu with heatsink/fan
  2. one stick of ram
  3. power supply connections to the motherboard (should be two)
  4. connect the case's speaker to the motherboard

Then use a screwdriver to quickly touch (short) the two pins that usually connect to your case's power on switch.

See what kind of beeps you get.

If you still get the beeps, my guess is your need to RMA the board, but please post your system's full specs (including your power supply specs)

Good luck!

Ok, I have removed one memory stick and it worked.
Then I put it back in and it worked as well.
But not long after using the computer, it froze one me.
When I restarted the box, same beeping as before.
I have removed the second stick, and still nothing. I have switched the sticks, and the computer booted fine again. Sounds to me like one memory stick (if not both) is bad.
The memory is a Corsair double pack of 512MB DDR2.
Board is currently ASUS M2NPV-VM, I used MSI also, the system was doing the same thing, but it didn't produce any kind of beep.
PSU is 380W, with 18amps for 12V+.
Video card is Radeon X800 GTA, 256MB, PCI 16x.

Since I got the system going with this board, I'll tell you again what the main problem is now.
After running for a while, the system freezes. When that happens, I am not able to restart the computer for a while. Not even Turn off/on. I have to wait a couple of minutes and then it usually works.
Right now I'm trying to run on the one memory stick that I started the computer with, see if it will be ok.

The problem shouldn't be with the video card, be cause at some point I wasn't able to start it without the video card, using only the on-board video.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you may have a flakey/bad stick of memory.. but it could be something else that gives this impression as well.

A videocard can fail to post with bad memory. So the beep sequence alarming video problem could in fact be due to a flakey stick of mem. POST memory tests are very simplistic.

I'd say your best test would be how long/stable the system runs on the single stick of memory. I'd also double-check your memory timings and make sure your fsb/mem bus speed and mem latencies aren't overclocking or taxing your installed memory.

Last but not least, you should consider making a boot floppy or cd with memtest86 and run this for a few passes against your memory. This download can help pinpoint a bad stick of mem.

Ran fine ovenight with only one stick, the one that's supposedly good.
The memory clock is correctly displayed at 800Mhz. For voltage, bios has only one option, 1.9v. It also claims to have the proper timing set in the SPD. I don't really know how to set the timing manually, I know the timings are 5-5-5-15 (or 12). But in bios, there is so many fields: CAS, Tras, Trp, Trcd, Trrd, Trc - I don't know what to set there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back