Beeping computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys, My computer shut off on me the other day and when I tried to start it back up all I could get is the front leds blinking and beeping. It is an Emachine model: W2646, I thought it might be the power supply so I replaced it but it did not change a thing. I jumped it before with another power supply and got the cpu fan to come on but same reaction with the beeps. New power supply the cpu fan doesn't even come on. It is microatx form factor with integrated sound,lan,and video. Any suggestions, thinking about just replacing the motherboard.

hi tekneck and welcome to TechSpot :)

trust me when I say you are not alone with your problem. eMachines are garbage, this forum (as well as many others) are flooded with questions about dead eMachines.

based upon what most other eMachine owning members have experienced, it's safe to assume that you have a bad mobo. get a nice aftermarket mATX mobo, do NOT get another rubbish eMachine mobo.

also, what are the full specs of the replacement PSU you got? (be more specific than just total watts). it still be a PSU issue as well.

The beeps that you get are caused by a certain error and are not random. If you listen carefully to them, they actually beep in a certain combination of long and short beeps. The only way for the motherbaord to indicate to the user that there is a problem is to give a series of beeps. Certain beeps mean certain things. My suggestion to you is to go to the motherbaord manufacterer's website (or call them) and you should be able to find out what beeps mean what. I would also recommend removing your sticks of Ram, blowing away any dust and put them back in, and see what happens. Hope this helps.

Yes, the beeps are not random, they are telling you about the problem. You need to go to the mobo mfgr's website and find out what your pc is saying.

I wonder if you have some other ram you could install. That way, if it boots, you know its a problem with some or all of your ram.
Or if you have more than 1 stick of ram, try booting with only one stick and swap them out to see if one stick will get you booted up.

I know that older emachines were questionable but it seems to me that Gateway bought out Emachines and that the quality of emachines has greatly improved. I wouldnt simply say that all emachines are junk. Matter of fact, i know someone with a 2 year old emachine that is running just fine.

all eMachines are questionable. they are garbage PCs

basically all OEM boxed PCs are garbage, because if they used all high quality parts they would not make any profit (they would charge too much money and would lose too many sales). but eMachines takes the cake as the worst quality major name OEM computer you can buy.

dont count on gateway to improve quality, as long as it makes it through the 1 year warranty, they dont care what happens afterwards.

Sounds like you are stuck in the pre-Gateway days when they were not very good, but we are both entitled to our own opinion. Heck, maybe you are right. Only reason i disagreed was the fact that i have heard decent reports at other forums regarding the fact that Gateway has improved these units.

At least we agree that most OEM are pretty junky anyway and built to barely last the one year warranty, after which all hell breaks loose. I heard they go to a mobo mfgr and purposely have them build junky, stripped down mobos.

Back on topic, hopefully we can help tekneck get his rig going. Dont give up easy, usually things work out and we can help you get going. Sometimes, though, its a matter of a broken mobo or dead cpu. Takes some work to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back