BEFSR41 ping problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Yes, this is my first post, but please do not disregard it because of that fact.

I am currently using a Linksys BEFSR41 ver. 2 EtherFast Cable/DSL Router, and recently have encountered the dreaded "steady Diag light."

First thing I did, was log onto Linksys' website, and searched for some info on a possible fix. I have come to the conclusion, (from Linksys' and others websites) that i need to upgrade the firmware.

To do that, i decided to use Linksys' walkthrough, for lack of a better term.

I set the static IP adress, changed the speed on my network adapter, held the reset button for 30 Seconds (which didnt appear to do anything), and opened a command prompt.

i then proceeded to try to ping the router to ensure a connection, only to recieve "Destination unreachable"

So i went back to check my settings, noted that they were all correct, according to what Linksys told me to do, and tried again.

This time i recieved a notice tinforming me that my "operation timed out"

i decided to log on to this helpful forum, which i have searched before, but never found quite what i was looking fo ron this subject, and ask you this question: What is going on?

Is it possible to fix this, or is this router just on its way out?

Any and all responses greatly appreciated,
Tuco

maybe bad cable
did you do a firmware upgrade to the router
and did anything like the settings change
I did a firmware upgrade in one and it added and took some settings away.should be a help that tell what version you are using
you could try reinstall

Sorry, its been a while, but about updating the firmware.

the reason i am trying to connect to the router, is that i need to update the firmware. on linksys' website, they say that you need to establish a connection between you computer and your router
that is what i am attempting, even though this seems like circular logic, to me at least:
I need to update the firmware. in order to do that, i need to establish a connection to the router, which i cant do, because the firmware is so outdated.

how about we change the topic of this thread to "help upgrading the firmware etc. etc." any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again,
tuco

try reset by: power off router first before
pressing reset hold good 40 secs or so
plug back in.
set your nic card to 192.168.1.100
make sure you are not connected to modem
in url box of browser type in 192 168.1.1
should get prompt asking for user name password
skip user name type in default password (admin)
if you don't get a connection from doing this check your nic card or cable
nic's go bad to MY worst cases are realtek's
you may even want to try crossover cable between 2 pc's just checking nics ,there is a free utility out there that tests nic by signal looping ,some have builtin testing
all my intel pro's and servers have them
3com higher end uses testing
realtek (nothing)
I have had some linksys ,but never looked that close

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back