Beginner trying to network two laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to network 2 laptops. One is running windows xp, and the other windows 2000. I'm trying to connect them to each other directly through the ethernet ports on both machines using a crossover cable. I'm new at this, so please give me the step by step on what I need to do. Thanks.

As explained probably for a dozen times during last 3 months..

Make sure you have Microsoft Networking installed and enabled on both machines. If you have software firewall, make sure you have NetBIOS ports allowed in there. Make sure the machines are set to belong to the same workgroup.

Dannyh01: I'm not sure how skilled you are with machines, so I'm going to make a basic assumption that you know a little about computers.

If you set a static IP to both machines (in network properties), you should be able to access them via ip: start->Run-> \\#.#.#.#\sharename. Be sure you have usernames/pwds/permissions configured, of course. If you use these interfaces for accessing a network, be sure that you remember your old settings, otherwise the interface will cease to work when hooked back up. If both machines are hooked to a network, and you can get an IP for both machines, typically you can access them via IP without a crossover.

Nodsu's advice is good too, but sometimes NetBIOS isn't cooperative for me.

Also, be sure your pin configuration on the crossover cable is appropriate. Some people hose this up, and even experienced folk can do it as a simple oversight.

Please let us know if you need more details. You might also try the search engine linked at the top of this page. (Just under the banner ad.)

Hope this helps! PS- Welcome to Techspot! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back