Believe it or not Floopy Disk problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refwhett

Believe it or not Floppy Disk problem

Well,the thing is this. When I try to create rescue disks with Partition Magic it could not find the Floppy drive.
When I try to format a disk I get the messege that windows cannot complete the operation.

When I try to look in a floppy I get a messege that says that A:\ cannot be access and that floppy disk does not have an ID mark.

The OS does recoginze the device though as it's ok in Device manager and if I try to look into the drive when there is no disk there it says that it's empty.

what can I do to fix this? It the first time I'm using the floopy on this machine.

This might sound silly, but the cable is probably in wrong. Unlike most other cables in your sytem, the floppy cable is usually dependant on how it is hooked in. The end that has "splits" in the cable should be plugged into the floppy. The very last end of the cable on the other side shouldb e plugged into the motherboard.

If this does not result in a working floppy drive still (And your cable is not notched so it can only go in one way), try turning the connector upside down and inserting it into the floppy.

And the OS "detects" the drive because it actually doesn't try to detect any floppy drives. To force the issue, you have to delete the floppy drive from Device Manager.

Originally posted by Nodsu
And the OS "detects" the drive because it actually doesn't try to detect any floppy drives. To force the issue, you have to delete the floppy drive from Device Manager.

Then restart the pc again inorder for the OS to redetect the device.

Thanx for the replys.
Rick: the cable was connected correctly and is notched so I couldn't connect it the other way.
Nodsu and Young&wild: I unistalled the drive from device manger and restarte the pc. The OS did detect new hardware, installed the driver and said that the device is properly insatlled and ready to use...... but low and behold (excuse the spelling) the problem remains and I get the no ID address mark messege again.

Could it be the the cable is ****ed up?

Ok, I suppose I'll buy new cable and if that doesn't work ten a new drive too. No biggy.

Thanks for the continous support everybody (I feel like your little kid... ;)). I'm just waiting for the time when I will be able to give someone some advice, I suppose it will come with time. Probably after I built another machine and have a bit more experience.

Cheers, Bye

Floopy disk format error

Hello,
I have a floopy disk that was working fine one day and now it will not let me open it .I get an error that ask if I want to format.I answer no.
I'm not been using computer long so please tell me what I can do in very easy directions.
Thank you

Floppy disks die. They just do. The best bet would be to get a different floppy and use that.

Try scanning the disk for errors.
1. Put the floppy disk in the drive
2. Open My Computer
3. Right-click on 3.5" floppy drive
4. Select Tools or Properties and then click scan for errors or scandisk

Answer

I remember having this problem . And to this day that error window haunts me in my dreams.
Anyways.
That message is saying that it can't find your floppy disk 3.5" drive.
Get a computer dude to connect your floppy PROPERLY to the tower and you should have no problem.

-Alain ( alaink13@gmail.com) :cool:

norwoodroses said:
I scanned the disk and it said no virus found.
A virus is not what you need to be scannign that floppy for. You need to scan it with chkdsk or scandisk which is what dgower2 told you how to do.

I'd try another floppy disk drive, or another operating system with better copying methods. Even DOS would be better, at least it would allow you to retry reading (abort, retry, ignore, fail :p).

I have some experience on chkdsk/scandisk only making things worse by trying to fix a disk / partition it can't read correctly.

The best thing recovering floppies IMO is the old DOS Norton Disk Doctor that came with Norton Utilities up to 8.0. They really cared about floppies back then.. *sigh*

Thanks - LOL

SNGX1275 said:
A virus is not what you need to be scannign that floppy for. You need to scan it with chkdsk or scandisk which is what dgower2 told you how to do.

Thank you for clarifying that SNG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back