Belkin wireless g adapter problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameJunkie72792

i have a Belkin f5d7050 wireless g network adapter, i just installed a fresh copy of Win XP pro sp2, after i installed the drivers and such for my adapter and it detects my network and then when i go to connect to it and enter the encryption key it will go to aquiring network address and nothing more, the last time i let it go for 6 hours straight and it never did connect it just kept aquiring network address. ive tried everything i know to do. any help would be greatly appreciated, i just dont understand it worked perfectly on my win 200 pro system...

p.s. im using a linksys wrt54g router

thanks

Which version do you have? Pull out the PCMICA card and it should tell you?

Ver. 5
Ver. 6

These two were more stable than prior versions.

I have had purchased 4 of the Ver. 5 never had a problem with them. I know one thing I did find out the other day is that, the cards can only handle low packets. If you do anything like high impact packeting for AV media streaming then you'll run into hipcups on the AV media content.

Otherwise for general data swapping and internet surfing they make and excellent choice.

Okay back to your problem, what I would do is this:

1. Hook the laptop up using wired ethernet cable and disable the wireless
2. See if you can get a connection directly to the Router
3. Open a DOS prompt and type: route print > c:\route print.txt
4. Under run type: notepad c:\route print.txt
5. See how the connection to your Router went when you use the Route Print
6. If all is a go!, Then enable the Wireless and wait for it to connect

In step 6 it should connect right away when you connect unless your not using the right key for WEP. I would recommend using WEP 128-bit A instead of HEX. Also change the key to something new in the Wireless Router. Once you are setup under Belkin Wireless Utility change it to allow XP Pro SP2 Wireless Management. To me this works much faster then what the 3rd Party Belkin offers.

Also make sure you update the firmware for the Belkin as it does change.

oh a did i forget to mention its the usb adapter? sorry :( and its on a desktop 20 feet away fom the router (in another room)

will these still work for the usb? if so i shall try

i hooked up the ethernet, same thing it just continually says acquiring network address, could it be a windows problem? i dont have windows firewall on th computer at all, so i know its not that, i have no other firewalls either, im thinking i should extend my computer knowledge to networking too... but anyway any ideas?

in the wired connection mode, disable WPA/WEP and test connectivity.
then reactivate WPA/WEP and ensure your adaptor has the same key,
then retry the wireless connection.

GameJunkie72792 said:
no luck, it still is giving me the same thing
be precise;
this failed
in the wired connection mode, disable WPA/WEP and test connectivity.​
or did this?
then reactivate WPA/WEP and ensure your adaptor has the same key,
then retry the wireless connection.

ok, if you wire the machine to the router and get no connection,
1) the device is DEAD (check your Device Mgr)
2) the driver is bad (look for an update)
3) the router is dead

well, i just updated the driver, i can still use my notebook on the router, and the device manager says the adapter is functioning properly (the NIC card),

GameJunkie72792 said:
well, i just updated the driver, i can still use my notebook on the router, and the device manager says the adapter is functioning properly (the NIC card)
again -- fill us in; I can only guess you imply
1) your NIC->Router works fine but
2)the problem still exists on the WIRELESS adaptor.
Did you update it?

according to the device manager the NIC and Wireless adapter are working fine

and yes the router is working fine

yet the problem still exists on both the wireless and when wired

ive updated both drivers for the wireless and for the NIC

GameJunkie72792 said:
Wireless adapter are working fine

and yes the router is working fine

yet the problem still exists on both the wireless and when wired
major contridiction here.

I suggest you read very slowly and carefully the Wireless Setup instruction
for your router.

thats what im saying its working perfectly on other computers i try,
and when i use it on this system with the fresh xp install, it just acquires the ip address forever literally... it worked on this computer before xp pro. and the other system wired to the router is working perfectly fine also.

so in this case im sure the router and such are installed properly, ive been using this computer on this router for four months now, its just stumped me now and im completely lost...

thank you for having patients with me jobeard and for the help im going to continue messing with this and hopefully ill figure it out! also thanks tipstir

if anyone else has suggestions feel free to post!

I've been away, I see you're using USB NIC, try this:

Example:

Create a static IP from what you're using right now for your local Workgroup.
Give this system 000.000.000.252

That should work with the USB NIC if you can't connect than it's either the Router or USB not working correctly.

Problem With Belkin Usb G adapter under xp sp2?

Well let me ask you one thing. Are you using belkin wireless manager software, because if so it will never work for you m8 cause its load of bull. Well in case that is the problem here is a solution:

1. Go menu start and run Msconfig .
2. In the startup tab locate blekin wireless manager software, if found any disable it.
3. Go to services tab and find belkin wireless manager there (must do) and disable it as well.
4. Restart your system.
5. Enjoy great conectivity and working network.

--------------------------------------------------
Impossible - No just lies.

You're right about that Manager is bad news.. I rather let Windows Wireless manage the network cards it does a better job than third party ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back