Best AGP Video Card for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coronas

Best AGP Video Card for my situation

Hey everyone,

Video cards isn't my specialty, and im quite blank on figuring out which is right for me.

I do quite a bit of gaming, but nothing hardcore - currently I have the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200.

My computer I will be running this on is a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz - plus 2 gigs or ram.

I don't want to get a video card that I will be downgrading its capabilities, what I mean is if I buy a 500mb card for example, I wont be using what its capable of because so and so in my machine would be bringing it down (so I've been told)

The price range of what I'm looking for is around $100.

Anyone could care to help, that would be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Well, that price range is a little tight for an AGP card. Can you give us a sense of the types of games you are wanting to be able to play? Game names would help.

Your system looks like a very good one actually. Nice CPU. Tons of ram, a new GPU would change your gaming world.

See if you can't find yourself a 9800 pro or a 6600GT graphics card. Should be able to find one of those in your price range. Again, it will depend on what games you are wanting to play, but those are two very powerful cards for their time (about 2 years ago) and are still enough to play last years games at decent framerates.

Edit: actually, just checked on newegg. This would be a nice card for you:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130076

Thank you very much, I'll be sure to check these out.

The only games I'm interested in playing @ the moment, are games such as Diablo 2, UT, Halo, and a new game thats developing, currently in beta, called "Warrock".

I used to have a better machine, but due to Intel, and their poorly manufactured chips, I had to downgrade my 3.4Ghz processor to a 2.0Ghz AMD processor, and buy a new mobo. Then I had put everything from the old system, into the AMD system I have now.

Money was tight since I was around 15 making that machine. I can spend as much as needed to get my machine back where it should be, while on subject, could you point me into the right direction of what compatible CPU's I can use? All I know is the mobo is designed for 64/FX/X2 processors. (The mobo im using is K8T Neo2-F v2.0)

quick question. i think me and coronaz both wonderin wats the best card for its price? lol.
im a real cheapster. like my sig btw coronaz? hahah

And donNagual idk if u remmber but i bought a new mobo. lol. the 1 me and u were workin out went in the trash. lol. way back thennnn

DonNagual said:
Well, that price range is a little tight for an AGP card. Can you give us a sense of the types of games you are wanting to be able to play? Game names would help.

Your system looks like a very good one actually. Nice CPU. Tons of ram, a new GPU would change your gaming world.

See if you can't find yourself a 9800 pro or a 6600GT graphics card. Should be able to find one of those in your price range. Again, it will depend on what games you are wanting to play, but those are two very powerful cards for their time (about 2 years ago) and are still enough to play last years games at decent framerates.

Edit: actually, just checked on newegg. This would be a nice card for you:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130076

you won't get much performance for $100.

For
$200 you can get a top of the line AGP - a 9800GS

lol. A 9800GS?

I assume you wanted to say 7800Gs. Yes those are great cards, but I personally wouldn't go so far as to say you won't get much performance for the $100 range. That 7600GS card I linked him to is a fine card.

Then again, it's all a matter of preference. Personally, I like to spend my money on computers and have all the eye candy turned on with good frame rates. Perhaps the original poster prefers to spend his money on his wife, and will be fine with low framerates and eye candy turned down. The 7600GS would be a good card for a man like that, and his wife in turn will love him all the more ;)

Coronas said:
while on subject, could you point me into the right direction of what compatible CPU's I can use? All I know is the mobo is designed for 64/FX/X2 processors. (The mobo im using is K8T Neo2-F v2.0)

You have a socket 939 board, which is actually an amazing gaming platform. That CPU you have in there now is actually not far behind the 3.4Ghz P4 you used to have. You can't compare CPU frequencies between a Pentium4 and an Athlon64, they don't match up at all. That 3200 cpu you have is a great CPU. It is starting to get a little dated now, but not too bad. If you have the money, now is a good time to upgrade it, as the socket 939 cpus are disappearing quickly now that AM2 has been released.

Here is a list of compatible CPUs for your board:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=608&kind=1

If you can get yourself a dual core (one of those socket 939 X2 cpus), grab one. Or, if you have any interest in overclocking, take a look at the dual core opteron cpus.

Whoa, thanks so much DonNagual. This really helped me learn a lot more then what I knew and thought before. Now at least I have a better understanding of what I need to do and get, to have a better performance.

I will definitely be checking out one of those X2 cpus - roughly on eBay, they can be found for $499. I find it better to get the best performance of what I can now, then spend it in a few years later.

I have also found the Geforce 7600GS which you recommended earlier (from newegg), and I will definitely be picking up one of them later today if I can find it at one of my local retailers. If not, I found one on eBay Here which seems a reasonable amount of money for what it is and is capable of.

Thank you once again :)

Well, some more food for thought then.

If ever there was a good time to upgrade your system, it is now. The newest Intel CPUs are absolutely incredible. It has been many years since a new CPU came out that is this much of a leap over previous CPUs. The core 2 duo.

I am mentioning this because you are looking at spending about $700 at least to upgrade your current system. For a little extra, you could build yourself a core 2 duo system. I know everyone has a budget, but the performance difference is really a world of difference. Even between the fastest X2 cpu you can find for your board, and the slowest of the new core 2 duo cpus.

For example here is a mobo/cpu combo for $530 CDN.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2447114&Sku=MBM-P5B-E6400

You would need new ram (your current ram would not work with this board).
1Gb $135
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1010860&CatId=2261
or 2Gb $275
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2341730&CatId=2261

Then you'd need a PCI-e x16 graphics card. Something like this perhaps:
7600GT $132
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2714981&Sku=E145-7922
or for a little more, a 7900GS
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2458745&CatId=0

And another point to keep in mind is that this system is extremely upgradable, whereas if you blow your money on the 939 board, you are at the top of the pile and out of upgrade options. This way, in a year or two there will be more options for you to upgrade your CPU again (and graphics card as well, since this is a PCIe x16 based graphics slot as opposed to your current AGPx8 slot).

Anyways. Some food for thought. Evil, I know ;)

ATI and nVidia are both pretty good cards, It just depends on what gaming you want to do... Since most games are made with nVidia's graphics engine I recommend most of my cards as nVidia but if it's a budget card then ATI is good because they have cheap but powerful cards ;)

That's a nice card, Since it's ebay ( did you buy now? ) it will arrive pretty fast depending on the person who you bought it from is fast enough to put into FedEX or what ever they ship from ;)

Tedster said:
you won't get much performance for $100.

For
$200 you can get a top of the line AGP - a 7800GS
Where? Everyplace I've seen that still sells it is over $250. Man I hope its not $200, because I paid $305 or so a while back for my eVGA 7800GS CO.

TimeParadoX said:
That's a nice card, Since it's ebay ( did you buy now? ) it will arrive pretty fast depending on the person who you bought it from is fast enough to put into FedEX or what ever they ship from ;)

Yup, I bought it just yesterday night, I was hesitant to making the decision since I spent so much this week lol.

But, the package should arrive to me by Friday, since the item is only a few cities away...thats if the seller ships it to me this morning. He has a good record though 4219 transactions, 98.7% Positive.

I got the video card a few days ago. And i mean WOW! its awesome, I can see more detail than ever before, and now I can play more games than before.

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back