Best Core2 Duo Motherboard for £50 ($94)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blekk

Hi, after installing some demos, I have realised my system aint that good anymore, I usually use it for graphic and web design, but also play CounterStrike: Source alot. It has been ok for that, but after installing the Just Cause Demo and others, I realise it isn't up to much.

My graphics card is a X1800GTO PCI-E, so I'm ok there, (im not an enthusiast), but my motherboard is an intel 478 with only pci-e x16 running at x4 and I only have a Northwood 2.2Ghz CPU.

For christmas, I'm thinking of upgrading that side of things, I'm only 16 so I don't have loads of money, so can somebody give me an idea of the best Core2 Duo Motherboard for about £50 ($94) that isn't nforce powered, because of my ATI card, SiS, VIA, ATI, whatever, just not nForce. Can anyone give me an idea?

Also, Can you use DDR memory in a DDR2 supported board, or does it mean that it is exclusive to DDR2? (Just wondering how much I will actually have to upgrade :))

Thanks,

Any reply is appreciated.

Hmm, thats quite good, thanks for the help, but is that pci-e x16 running at x16? Also, its only DDR2 667 and I'm not really looking for a hybrid, would rather have another pci slot or pci-e x1 or x4.

Thanks for the help though.

Anyone else got suggestions?

Thanks.

Try the Biostar Tforce P965 Deluxe, it's around $100 american dollars, or even better, the Gigabyte GA-965P-S3, it's around $116 US dollars. But you'd need to change the DDR RAM to DDR2 RAM.

I'm also 16, and want to upgrade my machine too, so I understand that you need to build a budget PC. It's hard to get cheap, reliable parts :)

Yes it's 4x. Not a huge performance hit though. I think it's the best with DDR.

The MSI 965P neo-f works well. My friend has one in his first build. I don't like the how BIOS chip is soldered on and not in a socket.

It's DDR2.

There a many 945 chipset mobos that will work with Core 2. The only ones I've seen reviews for are the ASRock ConRoeXFire-eSATA2 and ConRoe945PL-GLAN. They work fine but like all sub $100 mobo have few overclocking options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back