Best Home Theatre System under $400?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market for good sourround sound system for my setup. I am looking at the Logitech Z-5500 Digital speakers but they're for the PC. I don't want to order them and then find out that they don't have the right input plugs(red and white). I don't know the correct terminology for that though. I want to hook up my XBOX 360, TV, and PS3 to it. Quality triumphs power and I am setting it up in a medium room. What sound system would you recommend for my price system and needs.

Look at the Pioneer, Phillips. Sling, Savant, and Acoustic Research, as well as those sold by Bose (which I prefer), and those sold for use in automobiles (tougher, but more costly). Several companies make what is known as Theater in a Box. Sony, Bose, Panasonic and Onkyo are well known media manufacturers who also make a theater in a box. C/Net Reviews can give you more information on specific makes and models. then pick and choose from what they have, rather than get stuff you don't need or want.

Read a LOT of reviews.

Well I seen most of Cnet's reviews and the Z-5500 scored reletively high. Would work as a good sourround sound speaker system for my setup? Does it have all the connections(inputs) I need? Is there a better system you would recommend to me?

Here's the Z-5500 review: http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/logitech-z-5500-digital/4505-3179_7-31115626.html?tag=prod.txt.1

This is the part the confused me. "The Z-5500 Digital's control module incorporates Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS, and DTS 96/24 processing, facilitating direct connection to DVD players and game consoles without using an A/V receiver. You may, however, require an adapter to add digital outputs to your game console. "
So where I am suppose to connect everything? What kind of adapter am I suppose to get?

Once again what do you think is the best sourround sound speaker system for under $400? I don't care if it's used or refurbished.

Logitech Z-5500 is a good unit. Perhaps not the prestige system that other brand names might have, but you will be very happy with it. You must be careful not to over-drive it trying to fill a large room, as damage can result.

What's "over-drive it"? And does the system have enough inputs for my setup?

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I agree, the Logitech Z-5500`s are awesome.

Overdriving simply means turning the volume too high, thereby overdriving the amplifier, which in turn can damage the speakers.

Under normal volume conditions, the amplifier sends out a smooth sine wave. However, if the amplifier`s volume is turned up too far and the rated output of the amp is reached, then the amp starts clipping. That means it no longer sends out a smooth sine wave, but instead starts sending out a square sine wave. This is what damages the speakers beyond repair.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

You could get a Yamaha Home Theater in a Box setup. The reciever for it will be of pretty good quality, and the speakers will sound alright, but as you get more money in the future you can replace with much better speakers and the reciever/amp will still be good enough for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back