Best Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

acacia666avenue

I am planning to get my own internet connection in my room because i use just about all the bandwidth and im sick of my family complaining that the internet is slow. So i was kinda leaning on waiting for verizon fios to come into naperville, illinois, but i dont think it will be for awhile. I was wondering if i should get the fios, or just get cable. I download a lot of files, torrents and I play video games online. I have up to 6 Mbps download right now and about 768 Mbps upload right now. I was looking for something like up to 15 Mbps download 2Mbps upload. And also, does anyone know of another isp that is or will be offering fios internet? Thanks

It should be an easy task for you to find out which ISP's service your area on your own. Maximum Cable up and download speeds will depend on how many cable users are in your immediate area, and the time of day. Speed costs $$... I pay $55.95 a month for my Cable providers highest speed. At certain times of the day my connection "feels" like a slow DSL. I do a lot of computer work in the late night hours, when the Cable speed is more "normal"...

Then get a job and move out and rent your own place and get your own cable or whatever you can afford! hehehehe sorry it had to be said. :)

I hope these are helpful. :

I have a friend who has FIOS. It costs him $150.00 a month but it comes with tv programming and phone service.

depends on price and availability. With DSL speed is degraded over distance. No average provider will give you more than 6mps unless you have some kind of super-premium package. The speeds you are talking about are only achieved with fiber. If you are in a city, this may be available. If you are in the country, you are limited.

Satellite connections are even slower but are still faster than dial-up.

Also using P2P software and torrents is an open invitation to viri. Viri can not only wreck your system and your family's, but it can also effect speed. Use of such software is dangerous and foolish.

Tedster said:
No average provider will give you more than 6mps unless you have some kind of super-premium package.

That is not true. Comcast will with internet alone, no phone of TV service.

I was referring to bandwidth, not bundled services. Most providers do not offer more than 3 to 5 mps in a standard cable modem service. If they do- consider yourself lucky. 6 mps is far too fast for the average consumer.

I get about 3.5MB/S download and thats fine with me, but I only get like 385KB/S upload (I think, it's been a while since I checked it) and that stinks.

Tested speeds have gone up for me in Uploading...
188877744.png

188878110.png

188878466.png

188878565.png

As you can see good avg..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back