Computer Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know

Another one I have caught myself using a lot is dragging windows all the way to the right side of the screen until a water drop appears and the window auto splits. Useful for 1440p single monitors.

Lol 1, I knew some of the tricks.. .the other tricks I knew nothing about. I found the VLC fix handy on audio out of sync problems (is this also available on classic mediaplayer in k-lite packs?)

Lol 2, Game of Thrones series is a popular pirated material; I wonder why it is the example. :)

Very nice article, I knew quite a few of these but not others. The window snap between different monitors is just what I've been looking for recently.

Very useful article. Thanks! To quickly shut down the computer I just use the power button, which can be configured in Power Options to use the Windows shutdown function.

Not bad. I knew most but not all of these tips. Should stick this to the front page.

Nice. Also knew most of these, but are great tips for the less savvy PC user...

Some useful info in there. Didn't know about pressing F2 to rename. Here's another one: to go to properties, instead of right clicking and selecting the option, simply hold down Alt and double click.

Knew most of this stuff, but I had no idea about CTRL + Shift + V, gotta remember that.

Start + 1 (starts 1st pinned icon on taskbar)
Start + 2 (2nd pinned icon)
etc...

Start + Left: Dock window left
Start + Right: Dock window right
Start + Up: Maximize
Start + Down: Restore if Maximized, otherwise minimize to taskbar

And my favourite command at the end of the day at work
Start + R > "shutdown -f -s -t 1"

For renaming files, powershell is unequaled, IMHO, however, you have to take the time to learn it. My apologies for not posting a link.

Open the task manager directly If you want to bypass the interrupt that happens when pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL and jump right to the task manager, typing CTRL + Shift + ESC launches it directly.

I'm really surprised more people don't know this, even the people in our IT support department always use Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to the task manager.

Some useful tricks indeed:
* Ctrl + BkSp is new to me. Doesn't work in Notepad, though
* Ctrl + Shift + V for pasting plain text will help me greatly

Missing are the mouse shortcuts, which are the same in Windows and Ubuntu-type operating systems. Many of these will also work in my version of Ubuntu (Linux's "Zorin"). In Linux, we can keyboard map to match Windows keys, including the START-key functions.

Double-click on a work or file-name will highlight the whole word or file-name
Triple-click will highlight the whole line.

Double-click on a border of a paragraph of text will highlight the whole paragraph.
Triple-click will highlight predictably, but varies depending on the application and operating system.

Double-click on a border or Triple-click will highlight often highlight all the text in a 'box'. It can be similar to ctrl-A.

Just to save you time, you don't need to "run" cmd first you can just press Windows + R then type shutdown -a not that it works for all shutdown sequences

I am completely amazed that you did not cover ALT+F4 for when you are playing any online game! Developers have always made it the ultimate cheat feature! ;P

Back