BEST Processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heeelp!!

I cracked my AMD 1.3GHz Duron processor trying to change a cooling fan which was noisy for a quieter one-now my PC simply won't power on. Could that be the reason for it not functioning? What's the most powerful AMD processor I could stick onto my ITE IT8705F Motherboard?

you'd be best off replacing the cpu, motherboard, and ram. said operation should cost you about $200 USD and deliver huge performance increases.

I made a mistake!

:blush: The AMD processor that you want is an AMD Athlon™ XP 3200. Check PriceGrabber.com for lowest prices. They are still available!

geronimo said:
Motherboard type is a socket "A". For that vintage of "MoBo", you're looking at an AMD 760, if you can find one.
AMD-760 is a chipset (the first mainstream DDR chipset) not a CPU.

Until you find out which chipset you have we won't be able to help. The ITE IT8705F is an I/O controller, not a chipset either.

you can downlaod and run cpu-z, and it will list your motherboard model and chipset (use google to find a d/l site)

geronimo said:
:blush: The AMD processor that you want is an AMD Athlon™ XP 3200. Check PriceGrabber.com for lowest prices. They are still available!

I've since found out the MoBo is a PC Chips M810L v7.1A

It needs to be one with a 133mhz FSB (266 DDR) which is as rare as King Arthur at a McDonald's.

Well since it is a SD-Ram board, there's 99% chance it doesn't support any CPU beyond a 133mhz FSB.

Most SD-Ram boards for Athlons(XP) supported a 100mhz FSB, those based on the KT133, AMD-750 chipsets & the likes. The one that supported the 133mhz FSB was to my knowledge only the KT133a.

PS. The K7S5A also supported SD-Ram & still did not (officialy) support any CPU with more then a 133mhz FSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back