Best Socket 939 CPU upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave-427SS

Just curious as to some recommendations for a CPU upgrade. I do business and some gaming (Battlefield 2). I've upgraded the ram and vid card (specs below), and now I'd like to grab a new CPU.

Any thoughts?

thanks

-----------------------------------------
My Specs -
CPU - AMD 3500+ 2.2GHz
MoBo - Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
RAM - 2GB Patriot PC4000 500MHz
GPU - Nvidia GeForce 7950GT
HD - Maxtor 6B300SO
Sound - Internal

-

Thanks gents, I have kinda been looking at something along those lines. I can spend more money, that's not the issue.

Do you think Battlefield 2 responds better to single or dual core chip? I have read that the game is setup for single core CPU and does NOT take advantage of dual core............................

-

Yes, there are only a few games right now that take advantage of dual core cpu's and I don't believe that BF2 is one of them. So you wouldn't really notice much, if any, difference in that game with a single or dual core rated at the same speed. However, you would be futureproofing yourself somewhat by getting a dual core since new games and applications will be written to use both cores.

Go for the leading edge of the technology, and right now Dual Core is it... probably well into the future.

There arn't a lot of good cards to go SLI with right now though, especially with Vista theres going to be a major change in video card architecture pretty soon. I'd just buy an 8800 if you're going to upgrade, 7950 seems fine to me though.

Not Really

Just make sure that the seller has a good feedback and watch out for "All Sale Are Final" At minimum make sure they have a DOA garuntee....

Even the FX-55 would give you very good gaming performance and decent enough performance for everything else like video editing etc. Newegg has one for $240 I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back