Best software for Messenger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul05

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone would like to share/ tell me their best chatting software(yahoo+aim+irc+msn+etc...)
Because I chat alot, and I'd like to download the best one out there.
Thanks

Trillian is very good and they also offer a basic version that doesn't have as many bells and whistle which is also free unlike Pro.

There is also another program out ther called Gain. Not as "pretty" looking as Trillian but still supports all of the other messenger service and is open source. So it is Free.

I do have trillian Pro, but the thing is that it display your friend screen name in the directory of Trillian, which I don't want that at all. I'm expecting it to hide all of my friend screen name, not showing it in the directory.

paul05 said:
I do have trillian Pro, but the thing is that it display your friend screen name in the directory of Trillian, which I don't want that at all. I'm expecting it to hide all of my friend screen name, not showing it in the directory.
I would check out Gain then. I don't know if they do the same thing or not never actually used it myself just heard that is was also a good program.

Jimbo420 said:
I would check out Gain then. I don't know if they do the same thing or not never actually used it myself just heard that is was also a good program.

I check on google, and search for " Gain download " & " Gain messenger download " & " Gain chat download " and all three give me weird result...it have nothing to do with chatting at all...
It would be helpful if you tell me the link...^_^

Thanks, the bad thing about this software is that when I decided to close it. It close all of the chatting box, I thought it's going to minimize it to the taskbar(near the clock)

but oh well..
thanks anyway

Yeah that kind of sucks. Never really used the program myself. I use Trillian but have heard some good things about Gaim as well.

Google talk only talk to people that have a screen name on gmail right?
Because now I'm stilling looking for a universal messenger to download beside Trillian and Gaim...
Any other advices to give are more than welcome

Yeah that is correct, however there is no spamming or popups :) You can also get a good name since it is still kinda new hehehe. I use MSN for file transfers, phone messages, and video or cam use.

paul05 said:
Thanks, the bad thing about this software is that when I decided to close it. It close all of the chatting box, I thought it's going to minimize it to the taskbar(near the clock)

but oh well..
thanks anyway
You need to tell Gaim to close to the taskbar - the option is put in a strange place...

Tools -> Preferences -> Plugins

There will (should) be a plugin called System Tray Icon - check it and you can then "minimize" Gaim to the tray by X or _.

Don't give up on Gaim just yet :)

paul05 said:
Google talk only talk to people that have a screen name on gmail right?
Because now I'm stilling looking for a universal messenger to download beside Trillian and Gaim...
Any other advices to give are more than welcome
Trillian does have a feature where you can log into the Gtalk account also. Although I don't seem to be able to get it to work correctly. Have't really worried about it too much since I don't know anyone that uses Gtalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back